ASHDOD, Israel, (Agencies) - Israeli navy commandos stormed a Gaza-bound aid flotilla in international waters on Monday, killing up to 19 pro-Palestinian activists in a pre-dawn raid that sparked global outrage. The bloody ending to the high-profile mission to deliver supplies to the besieged Gaza Strip plunged Israel into a serious diplomatic crisis on the eve of talks in Washington between US President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. According to reports, three Pakistanis: TV anchorperson Syed Talat Hussain and TV producer Raza Mahmood Agha along with Nadeem Ahmed of Khubaid Foundation were also onboard the aid flotilla. As Israel pointed the finger of blame at passengers for initiating the violence, accusing them of using deadly force, activists from the ships countered with their own descriptions of how events unfolded in the raid which took place at around 5:00 am (0200 GMT). Live footage from the Turkish passenger boat, which was posted all over the Internet, showed black-clad Israeli commandos rappelling down from helicopters and clashing with activists, as well as several wounded people lying on the deck of the ship. Israel claims the troops returned fire after they were attacked with live rounds, knives and clubs, but flotilla organisers insist the soldiers started shooting the moment they hit the deck. Only limited footage of the incident has been broadcast as communications with the six ships participating in the flotilla appeared to have been scrambled during the operation. The Israeli army insisted its troops opened fire only after they were attacked with knives, clubs and even live fire. As a result of this life-threatening and violent activity, naval forces employed riot dispersal means, including live fire, an army statement said, adding that it appeared as if the passengers were planning to lynch the forces. Israel had pinned the blame squarely on the activists, saying: They initiated the violence. We made every possible effort to avoid this incident, Netanyahus spokesman Mark Regev told AFP. Unfortunately they were attacked with deadly force by the people on the boats. A spokeswoman for Israels immigration police Sabine Hadad, told AFP that more than 80 activists had been detained but many more arrests were expected. So far, 83 have been detained, of whom 25 have agreed to be deported. The rest are going to jail, she said, pointing out that the Turkish passenger ship that had been raided, the Mavi Marmara, had only just docked and that the authorities were expecting hundreds more arrests through the night. As the Mavi Marmara pulled into port, at least eight buses with their windows boarded up were seen pulling into the port, an AFP correspondent said. According to Channel 10 television, 19 passengers were killed and 36 wounded in the confrontation, although the Israeli army gave a toll of 10. The IHH, a Turkish NGO involved with the flotilla, put the toll at least 15, saying most of them Turkish nationals. Israels military top brass said the violence had been limited to the Turkish passenger boat, the Mavi Marmara, with Navy chief Admiral Eliezer Marom saying his troops had acted with extreme restraint in a very dangerous situation. The result of 10 deaths could have been far worse had the soldiers acted differently, Marom told reporters at the defence ministry in Tel Aviv, saying that troops had only been pushed to use live fire on board the Mavi Marmara. On none of the other five ships was live fire required in order to stop the flotilla. During the operation, 10 people who attacked our soldiers were killed and dozens more were wounded, Maron said, noting that all the injured were taken to hospitals in Israel by air force helicopters. Ten naval commandos were also wounded in the clashes, two of whom were said to be severely injured, while another three were in moderate condition. Despite the admirals remarks, organisers say the Greek passenger ship, Sfendoni, also came under fire from Israel troops. Hours after the confrontation, the Sfendoni and another ship were seen being towed by the navy into the southern port of Ashdod, an AFP correspondent said. The ships, carrying more than 700 passengers, were on the last leg of an aid mission to deliver some 10,000 tonnes of supplies to Gaza, which has been under a crippling Israeli blockade since 2007. Israel had warned the attempt to break the Gaza blockade was illegal and that it would intercept the ships, tow them to the Ashdod port and detain the activists before deporting them.