KARACHI - The bloody incidents of violence continued unabated in the metropolis on the second consecutive day on Thursday as the death toll touched the frightening figure of 36 besides 50 others severely injured. All major markets and bazaars in the city remained closed and public traffic largely off the road. Miscreants also set ablaze dozens of vehicles, shops, teashops, kiosks and pushcarts in different parts of Karachi on Thursday. Sources said that funeral prayers of one of the four MQM activists, killed in the ongoing violence, was being offered in North Karachi when unidentified gunmen resorted to aerial firing. Federal Minister Babar Ghauri, who was also participating in the funeral prayer, narrowly escaped a shower of bullets on this occasion. However, no casualty was reported. Three more people were killed during separate incidents of target killing in the city. One Nazar Muhammad was gunned near Qatar Hospital, within the jurisdiction of Pakistan Bazaar police station, while an unknown passer-by was targeted near Muhammadi Mosque within the precincts of Khokharapar police station. Similarly, unidentified assailants shot dead another passer-by Akhtar Mehmood, within the jurisdiction of Orangi Town police limits, while Naseeb Gull and an unknown person succumbed to their injuries at the hospital. Police surgeon Dr Hamid Padhair said that according to official records, 36 people were killed while 50 others were wounded in the fresh wave of violence in the metropolis. He said that Mohammad Khalil, a resident of Jalalabad, Landhi, was shot dead in Khokhrapar area on Thursday. During the two-day violence, as many as 22 dead bodies were brought to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC), 7 at Abbasi Shaheed Hospital (ASH) and four others were shifted to Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK). The number of the wounded people admitted at these hospitals was as under: JPMC 20, ASH 19 and four in CHK while seven other injured were rushed to the Qatar Hospital, Orangi Town. Padhair further said that 17 bodies were brought to JPMC while five others breathed their last during the process of medical treatment. At Abbasi Shaheed Hospital, the doctors carried out postmortem of seven dead bodies while two more dead persons were brought to Civil Hospital, Karachi. Dr Padhair all these dead bodies had multiple bullet wounds. Meanwhile, miscreants also set ablaze the properties of their rival groups in North Nazimabad area where around a dozen shops were targeted. A marble factory, several shops and pushcarts were set on fire in Yousf Goth, within the jurisdiction of Surjani police station, and other areas of the city. Routine life in the city remained suspended on Thursday due to the closure of all major markets and disappearance of the public transport from the roads. Besides, attendance in the private and government offices was very low on Thursday while major trade centres, markets, petrol pumps and CNG stations remained closed. The Sindh government had already closed all educational institutions and rescheduled the ongoing intermediate examinations. Orangi Town, Banaras, Qasba Colony, Baldia, Ittehad Town, Surjani Town, Sohrab Goth, Pak Colony, Guru Mandir, Patel Para, Nagan Chowrangi, Gulistan-e-Jauhar, Malir, Shah Faisal Colony, Korangi and Quaidabad were among the most affected areas where situation remained very tense on the second day of the violence. On the other hand, IGP Sindh Slahuddin Babar Khattak claimed that police had arrested some 48 culprits involved in riots. However, according to eyewitnesses, the law enforcers arrested mostly ordinary and innocent citizens including a teenager boy, Bilal, the resident of Yousf Goth, who was going to buy some essential items from the market. Talking to The Nation, residents of Zarina Colony complained that the police and Rangers arrested innocent people during search operation while the real culprits managed to escape. Similarly, Gulberg police claimed that they had arrested six people who were trying to torch a private vehicle. But, local residents said that police had arrested some unknown people because political activists, who were involved in riots, were still roaming the area freely in broad daylight. Meanwhile, the coalition partners in Sindh government, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and the Awami National Party (ANP), have agreed to extend their full cooperation for restoration of peace in the City, said Sindh Home Minister Dr Zulfiqar Mirza. Addressing a Press conference held at the Chief Ministers House on Thursday following a high level meeting chaired by Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah, he said that the law enforcement agencies had obtained some clue regarding the elements involved in the incidents, however, these details would be revealed at the appropriate time. The provincial home minister was flanked by ANP leader Amin Khattak and MQM leader Dr Farooq Sattar. During the five-hour long meeting, the recent violence and killings were thoroughly discussed. According to unofficial reports, over 30 people were killed and dozens of public and private vehicles were set ablaze during the past two days. Mirza said that all the coalition partners agreed to play their role in defusing tensions in the City. The government will have to take some 'stern and odd steps to control the situation and in this regard, some laws need to be amended, he added. He disclosed that Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani would arrive in the City on Friday (today), because both the prime minister and the president were worried over the situation in Karachi. Mirza said that the Sindh Home Department had issued shoot-at-sight orders, to the police and the Rangers, to deal with miscreants. It was agreed at the meeting that no political party would support the miscreants who were arrested red-handed. The government will compensate the loss of the property and human lives. Speaking on the occasion, MQM leader Dr Farooq Sattar said that there was no tussle between the MQM and ANP. He termed the violent incidents a conspiracy to disturb peace of the City and to divert the coalition governments attention from the ongoing actions against religious extremists. Referring to the terrorist incidents in the City, he said that these incidents were a political and administrative challenge for the coalition partners. ANP leader Amin Khattak termed the meeting fruitful adding that such meetings would be held every month. To a query about the strike call given by ANP for May 12, Khattak said that it had not been withdrawn, as it was the party matter. When the home minister was asked whether the upcoming May 12 situation had come under discussion at the meeting, he replied in negative. In response to another question, Mirza said that before launching a drive to recover illegal arms, the government wanted to block the smuggling of arms into the City, for which, the federal governments assistance was needed.