ISLAMABAD - The operational commander of the banned militant outfit Lashkar-e-Tayyaba (LeT) and an alleged mastermind of Mumbai terrorist attack, Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, Wednesday challenged the order of a  duty magistrate who had sent him on a two-day physical remand in a kidnapping case.

A local court of additional district and sessions judge Zeba Chaudhary conducted the hearing of the petition moved by Advocate Rizwan Abbasi, counsel for Lakhvi, and contended that his client was implicated in a fake case and pleaded before the court to suspend his physical remand.

During the proceedings, a police official Mohammad Arshad informed the court that Lakhvi was accused of kidnapping a man (Anwar Khan) six years ago adding that notices were sent to the complainant (Muhammad Dawood) of the case but he did not comply to it and the police tried to contact with him on his mobile number but he was not approachable.

Abbasi contended before the court that his client was arrested in a baseless case. He continued that the government did not want to release his client due to pressure of Indian government and for this very reason, he was implicated in a false case.

On this occasion, public prosecutor Syed Muhammad Tayyab opposed the petition and pleaded before the court to dismiss the petition.

Upon which the judge said that the matter is sensitive and said before deciding the application, all the parties would be heard. The judge asked the petitioner and the investigating officer to appear before the court today.

Lakhvi was granted post-arrest bail by an anti-terrorism court (ATC) Islamabad on December 18, but the federal government extended Lakhvi’s detention in Adiala Jail under Section 3 of the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO).

Then Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday suspended detention of Lakhvi and ordered his release. However, barely hours after his release orders, a case was registered against Lakhvi at the Golra Police Station Islamabad for his alleged involvement in abduction of a man, Anwar Khan.

The police official informed the magistrate that Dawood had filed a complaint at a Golra police station Islamabad saying that Lakhvi had abducted his brother-in-law to wage “jihad” six years ago.