LAHORE - Two motorcyclists died and several others wounded during New Year’s celebrations in different parts of the provincial capital, police sources said Thursday.

A 22-year-old man was doing wheelie when his bike  smashed into an electric pole near Allama Iqbal International Airport in the South Cantonment police precincts. Identified as Muhammad Imran, the motorcyclist was rushed to hospital with multiple injuries where he expired later. The police handed over the body to the family.

In another incident, Muhammad Ikram was doing one-wheeling along with his friends when suddenly he lost the control and the two-wheeler rammed into a footpath at Raiwind Road. The youth died on the spot, police said, adding, the body was handed over to his family.

Meanwhile, six boys were wounded seriously when their bikes rammed into the footpath at The Mall late Wednesday. The motorcyclists, identified as Zubair, Mahmood, Zaman, Faisal, Sunny, and Irham, were admitted to a hospital where the condition of two of the injured was said to be serious. Police sources said that the injured boys were performing stunts on their two-wheelers when the road mishaps took place.

A great number of young motorcyclists, defying police crackdown, took over the main roads in various parts of Lahore to welcome the New Year in their traditional style late Wednesday. Thousands of cops were deployed on security duties across the provincial metropolis to hunt down the eve-teasers.

A police spokesperson said on Thursday that at least 16 people were arrested for defying the ban on aerial firing and one-wheeling during the crackdown. Police also registered cases against the violators and impounded the bikes. The police took strict action against the violators of aerial firing, arrested seven men, and also seized six pistols and one rifle from their possession.  


 A 45-year-old rickshaw driver was killed when a rashly-driven truck bumped into his three-wheeler in Shahdara Town, police sources said on Thursday.

Muhammad Amir was sleeping inside his auto-rickshaw after parking it alongside a road when a recklessly-driven truck hit the three-wheeler. As a result, the man died on the spot while the driver along with the truck fled the crime scene. The police are investigating.

In another incident, a 30-year-old man was crushed to death by a car near Lahore General Hospital on the Ferozpur Road. Police said that the man, yet to be identified, was crossing the road when a car ran over him. The police have removed the body to the morgue and are investigating.