LAHORE – Three terrorists involved in suicide attacks at the shrine of Hazrat Data Ganj Bukhsh were arrested by the Crime Investigation Agency (CIA) on Sunday.

A senior police officer, requesting not to be named, confirmed the development and termed it a major success in this regard. He said the CIA rounded up three terrorists from Sargodha district. During preliminary interrogation, the terrorists confessed to carrying out the attack on the shrine of Hazrat Data Ganj Bukhsh on July 1, 2010, where at least 50 people were killed and 175 injured.

Earlier, the joint investigation team (JIT) comprising police officers from secrete agencies, CIA and City Police was investigating the case for the past two years. “We developed connections with extremists and taped their telephone calls and established the involvement of culprits associated with the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan,” the police officer said, adding that the JIT knew that some of them had hidden themselves in Sargodha area.

A JIT member, however, said that they had deployed few personnel at the hideout of criminals, where they had been living for the last several days. “After having conformation, we raided the hideout and arrested three terrorists,” he said. Police shifted them at unknown places. Further investigation was underway. 

WOMAN GUNNED DOWN: A 35-year-old woman, mother of five, was gunned down by two unidentified men for unknown reasons in the Shafiqabad police area on Sunday.

The heirs to the deceased woman, identified as Mumtaz Bibi of Bahawalnagar, have alleged that her in-laws masterminded the attack. According to details, Mumtaz had tied knot with one Zahid Iqbal, secretary to MNA Mian Marghoob, several years ago, but the couple often quarreled with each other over petty household disputes. The victim family members said their daughter was badly thrashed by Zahid and his family, especially by her mother-in-law.

On the day of the incident, she went outside her home to purchase grocery when two unidentified motorcyclists appeared on the scene and sprayed bullets on her. They culprits managed to flee from the crime scene, leaving her in critical condition.

Later, Mumtaz was shifted to a nearby hospital where she stated before the police that she was murdered by her in-laws because they had threatened her of dire consequences. Surprisingly, the police registered an FIR against unidentified culprits on the statement of Zahid Iqbal, the mastermind behind the killing of his wife.

The bereaved family members have demanded of the chief minister and Punjab IGP to provide them justice and lodge a genuine FIR against the nominated people. Mumtaz Bibi’s body has been handed over to the aggrieved family after the completion of necessary medico-legal formalities. Further investigation is underway.

TWO FOUND DEAD: Two people, including a woman, were found dead mysteriously in the New Anarkali and Baghbanpura police areas on Sunday.  Police said that the locals found a woman lying unconscious in the New Anarkali area and informed the police concerned. She was shifted to Mayo Hospital where the doctors pronounced her dead.

Similarly, a 50-year-old man in the Baghbanpura police area was found dead. Police investigators pronounced him a drug addict, and the main cause of his death was declared as excessive use of drugs.

The police, however, are waiting for autopsy to ascertain the main reasons of his death. After recovering the bodies, police made numerous announcements in nearby mosques, but no one claimed to own them. Further investigation is underway.

PHP ARRESTS 11 CRIMINALS: The Punjab Highways Patrol (PHP) arrested on Sunday 11 people for allegedly possessing illegal firearms and narcotics, besides other offences.

The accused were identified as Ghulam Mustafa, Salah-ud-Din, Abdul Salam, Bilal Hussain, Abdul Salam, Muhammad Bilal, Iqbal Javed, Ghulam Ali, Nasir, Samuel Sikander, Badshah Khan and Muhammad Ramzan.

Police have recovered firearms, liquor, cash, gold ornaments and other stolen valuables from the possession of the accused who have been handed over to the local police for further investigation.