ISLAMABAD (Agencies) Three Pakistani soldiers were martyred when Indian border forces opened unprovoked fire at them from across the Line of Control (LoC) in the Neelum valley, military spokesman Maj-Gen Athar Abbas said on Thursday. Athar Abbas told media that the incident took place Tuesday night in Neelum Valley sector of Azad Kashmir. He said the Indian Border Security Force (BSF) opened fire at a checkpost in Dudhnial region of the Neelam Valley and as a result of BSF firing three Pakistani army soldiers were killed. The soldiers were moving from one post to another when they came under fire. Three soldiers were killed, military Spokesman Major-Gen Athar Abbas said. He added that Pakistani forces returned fire in retaliation, and the incident was raised with local Indian commanders. However, Indian army spokesman Lt-Col JS Brar said the Pakistanis shot first. They opened fire first and we retaliated. In the morning again they started firing mortars and we retaliated and the exchange of fire continued, he said. An Indian trooper was hurt in the exchange of fire by the Pakistan military, Indian authorities said. The incident comes as tentative diplomatic steps were being taken to make peace between India and Pakistan, who have fought two of their three wars over Muslim-majority Kashmir. Cross-border fire breaks out sporadically across the border known as the Line of Control (LoC). Abbas said the Pakistani soldiers had been moving between posts when they got lost in bad weather in the Neelum River valley before the gunfire started. There was a fire exchange between the two sides. This was started by the Indian side - completely unprovoked firing, breaking the ceasefire, and after search of 24 hours their bodies were recovered, he said. There was a ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops in (northern) Keran sector that left our soldier injured, he told AFP from Held Kashmir. Brar said the first shots rang out late Wednesday Pakistani troops had again resorted to unprovoked firing early Thursday morning. We have retaliated, he added. At first Brar said the firing had stopped, but later he said some gunfire was continuing. Heavy fire including artillery and mortar is being used by the other side but not by us, he said, claiming it was the fourth violation of a ceasefire agreement along the border this year. The injured soldier was taken to an Indian army base hospital in Srinagar, the summer capital of Indian Held Kashmir, he said, adding that he had no knowledge of Pakistani casualties. Abbas said a meeting had been requested with local Indian commanders and that the deadly incident was under investigation. The Kashmir dispute has triggered two of the three wars fought by the neighbours since independence from colonial rule in 1947. In May, Indias military said one of its soldiers was killed when Pakistani snipers allegedly shot across the border, triggering a gunfight that shattered more than a year of calm. India and Pakistan agreed to a ceasefire along the Line of Control in 2003, and a year later launched talks aimed at brokering a regional peace. The process was suspended by India following the 2008 Mumbai attacks.