KARACHI - Muttahida Qaumi Movement leader Farooq Sattar's coordinator Aftab Ahmed, who was in Rangers' 90-day preventive detention, died during treatment at Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre here on Tuesday.

According to reports, Ahmed's condition deteriorated and he was shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, where he died.

Following the news, the MQM leadership and activists arrived at the hospital for receiving his body.  The party sources said Ahmed had been working as a coordinator for Dr Farooq Sattar since 2002. He was arrested from his FB Area residence four days back over his alleged involvement in the offences falls within the ambit of Anti-Terrorism Act.

Opposition leader in the Sindh Assembly, Khawaja Izharul Hassan demanded a medical board to be formed to probe the death of Aftab.

“We demand that a medical board be constituted to thoroughly investigate the death of the MQM worker,” said the MQM leader.

Speaking outside the assembly after the session, he said that the responsibility should be fixed for Aftab’s death in custody.

According to the Rangers, on the complaints of chest pain the suspect was shifted to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre where he died of heart failure.

A medico-legal officer at the Jinnah hospital in Karachi confirmed the MQM worker's death. He said that a magistrate would oversee the post-mortem of the MQM worker's body.

“Aftab Ahmed was brought to the Jinnah Hospital at 7:25 AM this morning where he was treated in the emergency ward. Aftab Ahmed passed away during emergency treatment,” said Dr Seemi Jamali, head of emergency at the Jinnah Postgraduate medical centre (JPMC).

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was performed on the man, who had no pulse and no blood pressure when he was brought to the hospital, she said. He died at around 7:45am after doctors failed to revive him, she said.

Earlier, the Rangers' counsel informed the court that the suspect Aftab Ahmed alias Bobby was arrested within the limits of Federal B area police station and he, along with other suspects, was involved in killing of as many as 40 peoples. He was among seven suspects presented before a judge of the anti-terrorism court on Monday by the Rangers.

The Rangers issued a press release according to which, Aftab Ahmed was detained for 90 days on May 1 and he was being detained for 90 days.  A Rangers lawyer informed the court that the suspects belonging MQM were involved in the target-killing of over 40 people. The court had granted the Rangers' request for a 90-day preventive detention under Section 11-EEEE of the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997.

Additional police surgeon Dr Kaleem Shaikh said the exact cause of his death would be ascertained after post-mortem.

Because the MQM worker died a custodial death, he said, the post-mortem will be conducted in the presence of a magistrate, who is currently awaited.

Meanwhile, the MQM announced to observe mourning day today (Wednesday) in connection of death of Aftab.

The MQM coordination committee appealed to the workers to observe Wednesday as a mourning day, against the death of Aftab. The committee said that they are not announcing a strike but they will observe a mourning day and will hoist black flags on the buildings, shops, and markets.  Funeral prayer of Aftab was offered at Numaish Chowrangi, where a large number of workers and leaders attended it. Later, the deceased was buried in Shuhada graveyard.