BUREWALA- About 12 members of a family fainted after consuming a ‘toxic milk-soda’ here in Akhtar Town the other night. They were taken to THQ hospital Burewala where, according doctors, their condition is improving.

Hospital sources said that Ghulam Abbas, Muhammad Nawaz and Muhammad Abbas, residents of Akhtar Town Chak 517/EB bought milk from the shop of Abdul Salam and soda bottles from the shop of Allah Ditta. They brought it home and prepared dhoodh-soda at home, which was consumed by all the family members. However, after few hours their condition started deteriorating and they were rushed to THQ hospital where MS Rana Muhammad Akram declared emergency. The affected family members are: Gulnaz, 8, Sadiq, 9, Abbas 3, Noman Iqbal, 12, Javeria, 6, Samsam, 10, Ihtisham, 12, Ali, 2, Samera, 15, Nadia, 19, Naveed, 20 and Waqas, 28. Adviser to Punjab CM on Health Kh Salman Rafique telephoned to the THQ hospital MS and directed him to provide best possible treatment to the affected family. Acting Vehari DCO Rana Muhammad Saleem along with EDO Health Dr Afzal Bashir also visited the hospital and enquired after the health of the patients. MS Dr Akram informed that all the patients would be discharged after 24 hours as their condition is stable.

Meanwhile, the Burewala Saddr Police have registered a case against both the shopkeepers and District sanitary Inspector has taken samples of the milk and soda and sent to lab for analysis.