A cat who had been stuck in a wall at a Cairo train station for five years has been freed at last.

Biso had squeezed into the hole in the wall at the Mohamed Naguib metro station as a kitten in 2010 - but then soon became too big to escape. He survived thanks to an elderly man named Uncle Abdo, who gave the trapped cat water and fed him scraps of food every day.

Now, the feline in finally free thanks to a social media campaign, according to the Cairo Post.  

Animal rights activist Mounira Shehata told the newspaper the smell when the wall was removed was ‘heinous’. She said: ‘It was like a tomb. There were black worms along four meters of the edge, where Uncle Abdo was able to put in food for Biso.’

Uncle Abdo, who named the cat, said Biso would regularly hide from bigger cats in the hole, but one day, squeezed inside and was not able to come out again.

He added that workers had tried to rescue the cat years ago, but a scared Biso had stayed behind the wall.

And Uncle Abdo even visited the station to feed Biso during the revolution in Egypt in 2011, when most stores, including his own, were closed.

‘I do it for God. What is for God does not go away,’ he told Masr al-Arabia.

Biso’s plight came to the attention of animal activists after a picture of the cat’s tail hanging from behind the wall was posted on Facebook last month.

A caption explained that the wall could not be broken to free the animal because it would be considered damage to public property.

The picture caught the attention of Ms Shehata and her fellow animal rights activists Marwa Elgebaly and Rania el-Kordy - who all decided to go save the cat on March 12.

Staff at the station told the trio they would need to return a couple of days later, when a maintenance official would be able to help. And after Dina Zulfikar, an animal rights worker, filed a report at the Abdeen police station March 13, officers arrived at the metro station.

They told the head of Mohamed Naguib metro station, in downtown Cairo, of the prosecution order to rescue Biso. Workers were brought in to help - and the rescue mission took more than five hours.

The terrified cat only emerged from the hole after one worker, named Amr, went inside to bring him out. Sadly, Biso then quickly ran away before anyone was able to catch him. Uncle Abdo is still looking for him inside the station.