ISLAMABAD - Law enforcement agencies have arrested an American national who was declared persona non grata and shunted out of the country for his suspicious activities.

Matthew Barrett was expelled from Pakistan in 2011, the ministry said in a statement. But he somehow managed to whisk in through the suspected connivance or negligence on part of the immigration officials at the Benazir Bhutto International Airport Islamabad.

The alleged spy of US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) arrived in the federal capital yesterday morning and was staying at a guest house, from where he was rounded up by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) with the assistance of Islamabad Police.

According to a well-placed source, Mathew Barret was kicked out from Pakistan and his name was placed in blacklist (Category A) due to espionage activities regarding nuclear assets in Pakistan.

The interior ministry has suspended at least two immigration officials at the Islamabad’s airport for allowing Barrett to enter Pakistan. The whole immigration staff on duty was suspended, the interior ministry statement read.

FIA Director Mazharul Haq Kakakhel led the raid after it was learned that the blacklisted US national had entered Pakistan on Friday.

According to FIA sources, Matthew is married to a Pakistani national.

The interior ministry has also sought clarification from the Pakistani consulate at Houston in the US for issuance him the visa.

Earlier, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, taking notice of the incident, directed the relevant authorities to constitute an inquiry committee headed by an additional secretary and sought report within 24 hours.

He also directed for constituting a joint investigation team consisting officers of FIA, IB and ISI. SP Investigation Captain (r) Ilyas will lead the team. Accordingly, a committee comprising security officials was formed to investigate as to how a blacklisted man entered Pakistan.

Later in the day, an FIA team produced the arrested American national and an FIA constable before a local court in Islamabad and the magistrate granted their three-day physical remand for questioning.

Magistrate Imran Yaqoob ordered the investigators to re-produce the accused before the court on August 9 for further proceedings.

Constable Ehtasham ul Haq and his father Sub-Inspector Raja Atif were on duty at immigration desk at the airport Saturday morning when Mathew Barret arrived at the airport and secured entry clearance. The FIA informed the court that they had yet to arrest Raja Atif.

Foreigners extradited

Separately, FIA immigration staff extradited five foreigners from the country after getting permission from the interior ministry.

The FIA staff sent back one woman to Zimbabwe and another woman along with three men to Nigeria. The five foreigners were detained in Adiala Jail for their involvement in different criminal cases.

According to the FIA, the foreigners were sent back to the countries of their origin through a private airline after they completed their sentence in the jail.