KARACHI - Federal government has ordered stay on execution of MQM activist Saulat Mirza, who is on death row for murder.

According to the sources of Sindh Home Department, the Centre has issued written orders to this effect to stop implementation of death warrant of Saulat Mirza. Mirza was sentenced to death by an anti-terrorism court in May 1999 for murdering the then managing director of Karachi Electric Supply Corporation Shahid Hamid, his driver Ashraf Brohi and guard Khan Akbar in July 1997. President Mamnoon Hussain has already rejected the mercy people of the convict.


Two brothers were killed in Nazimabad locality here on Tuesday.

Armed men on a motorcycle resorted to firing at a Hyderi Masala Chat Shop at Gol Market within the jurisdictions of Nazimabad police station. As a result, 22-year-old Salman, Asad Shabbir, 20, his younger brother and a passerby namely Akram Rafiq, 23, were wounded. The assailants, however, managed to escape. Following the incident, the police reached the site and shifted victims to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital for medical treatment where both the brothers – Salman and Asad succumbed to their injuries. The incident caused panic in the area while routine and commercial activities were also partially suspended in the area.

Police officials said that both brothers used to live in Nazimabad area and run their shop in the same area. The victims were busy in routine work at their shop when armed assailants killed them. SHO Ejaz Lodhi suspects that the victims were killed on sectarian grounds. He said that the police was waiting for the complainant to register the case while further investigations were underway.

Separately, a lawyer died shortly he was found alive in a nullah in North Karachi within the limits of Khawaja Ajmair Nagri police station. He was identified as 51-year-old Arif Riaz advocate, a resident of Bilal Colony area of New Karachi. SHO Chaudhry Afzal said that deceased was drunk and might have fallen into a nullah while walking towards his home.

Deceased was found alive during dumping of garbage near a nullah. The police found him alive but he died on the way to Abbasi Shaheed Hospital. The officer said that the doctors at a hospital have taken his samples to determine cause of death.