LAHORE - Despite high level intervention by the Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary and Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, police are still clueless about the rapist(s) of five-year old child-girl.

The little was raped on September 13. Since then, the police had done nothing substantial except taking some cosmetic measures to please the political bosses. It had taken some people in custody that had nothing to do with the case, the sources said.

Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhary took suo motu notice on September 14 and summoned Inspector General Punjab to appear in person. However, no progress was observed in the case yet. Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif also took notice of the incident with directives to police to ensure the arrest of culprits but to no avail.

The father of the victim girl, a Wapda driver told this scribe that police had not arrested the real culprits as yet nor did they tell him about the identity of those held in the case. He said this act of police created problems for the family as they were receiving threatening messages and calls from anonymous callers.

About the heath of his daughter, he said that she was stable but they took her to hospital after every fifteen days for check-up under fears of attack by the culprits.

The whole family including paternal and maternal uncles had been under the helm of social pressure as people keep asking embarrassing questions about the incident, he said.

In a very sad mood, the father of victim girl stated “Chief Minister and CJP took notice of the case but police could do nothing,” He said police had complete record of the case but the family did not know even the number of FIR. In addition to it, police did not inform them what they had done so far in the case, he added.

Police, earlier, claimed they would reach the culprits and bring them to justice. When this scribe talked to investigation officers to know the progress made on the case, some of them could not even recall the name of the victim girl. Incharge investigation Adil Khitchi blamed media for what he called complicating the case. He said the culprit had gone underground and they were waiting for him to come out.

“With Rs 1.2 million head money, the culprit would not trust even his close relatives and prefer to hide himself as long as possible”, the police officer said.

Earlier, the police took some CCTV videos but failed to detect the person shown there and later claimed that they had taken blood-sustained clothes of the victim and had also arrested a suspect whose clothes too were blood-sustained and had been sent to laboratory. Till date, police had taken many people including some women in their custody in the case on political pressure but failed to identify the real culprit.