LAHORE - Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Shaharyar M Khan still not ready to admit that India didn’t want to play with Pakistan as he said they would wait for further two days for India’s reply.

Even if the series takes place, it will be very short and worthless series which won’t be as beneficial and finance-boosting as the PCB is considering it. The board won’t have enough time to arrange various things in such a time and has to make it shorter one.

Shaharyar gave the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) December 7 deadline to decide on the series hoping for a positive response. Making arrangements for the series, which could run from December 17-January 3, would be ‘challenging’ at such a short notice, the PCB chief said, “but we will do it once we get clearance from the Indian government. “The prospects of organising a series now seem very bleak and we stand to lose at least $50 million under the current scenario.”

Any chance of a series is ‘over’, the PCB chairman has said adding the Foreign Office has conveyed to him that without talks on the cricket, it would be ‘difficult’ to arrange any series.

Shaharyar said the PCB would review its future policies and brief its governing board members on the developments. With time running out for the proposed India-Pakistan cricket series, the PCB has said it would call off the much-talked-about rubber if the Indian government does not give its approval in the next couple of days.

The PCB chief said the board would wait for a day or two before shelving plans for the short limited-overs series which was planned this month in Sri Lanka. “After that the series will be off,” he said.

He said chances of the series being organised now were very bleak since the resumption of cricketing ties between the two countries was not discussed by the Indian foreign minister Sushma Swaraj during her meetings with Pakistani officials in Islamabad.

“To be honest, the chances of the series being held now are very bleak because we have been told cricket was not discussed in the meeting between the Indian foreign minister and Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif,” Shaharyar said.

“If the series is not held, we stand to lose out on around $40 to $50 million and we had already started making preparations for the series in Sri Lanka which included hotel bookings,” the PCB chief said and added: “We were hopeful that there would be good news when cricket was discussed in the meeting between the Indian minister and Pakistani officials but that has not happened. We are disappointed.”

Shaharyar said the PCB would review its future policies and brief its governing board members on the developments. “Not having the Indian series is a big setback for us financially. And we were expecting that the Indian board would get clearance from its government as they have signed a proper MOU with us. We also need to look at the future of the rest of the series laid out in this document.”

To a query, the PCB chief said Pakistan’s participation in the World Twenty20 in India in March would depend on getting permission from its government. “The government has given clearance for us to play a short series with India in Sri Lanka but that has not happened so far,” he added.