LAHORE Federal Minister for Law Dr Babar Awan on Sunday defended appointment of NAB Chairman Deedar Hussain Shah by the President, as he came up with supporting documents to prove that PML-N Quaid Nawaz Sharif had once expressed his full confidence in the integrity of Mr Shah in a petition he had filed in the Supreme Court in connection with plane hijacking case. Addressing a crowded news conference along with PPP leaders Azizur Rehman Chan, Ahmad Riaz Sheikh, Shabina Riaz Sheikh and Zekria Butt at a local hotel, the Law Minister said the PML-N Quaid had mentioned the name of Justice Deedar twice, in that petition lauding his impartiality as a judge. Awan distributed among journalists copies of the petition (No:172/2000) filed in the Supreme Court of Pakistan by Nawaz Sharif when he was confined at District Jail Malir in Karachi. Quoting from the petition, Awan said that while giving arguments against formation of a full bench by the Supreme Court in plane hijacking case, Nawaz had, through his counsel, stated at page 10 (para-iv) of the said petition that Mr Justice Deedar Hussain Shah was Chief Justice of Sindh High Court, but he did not find any necessity or reason to constitute full bench and to preside over it himself, therefore, now in the absence of Speaking Order of the present Chief Justice, petitioner has many apprehensions, for sudden creation of present full bench. Similarly, the minister added, at page 15 (para-b) of the said petition, Nawaz Sharif had stated, When earlier hearings of instant appeal were taking place, Deedar Shah was Chief Justice Sindh High Court, and at that time no such problems existed though the courtroom was full to the brim. It was so that the honourable Chief Justice (Deedar Hussain Shah) had told in advance to advocates of parties and he ordered the Registrar to issue warning to public through media to maintain discipline and behave properly, otherwise entry for attending the hearings of the appeal would be restricted. After these warnings, every hearing had then passed smoothly, orderly and peacefully. Awan also clarified that Deedar Hussain was elevated to the position of Sindh High Court judge after serving two terms as legislator on PPP ticket. Reacting to the criticism that consultation was not done in case of new NAB chiefs appointment, the Law Minister said consultation was made with all relevant quarters, but it was not binding on the competent authority to act as per advice of those who had been consulted. He explained that 'consultation meant to seek advice and not to evolve consensus or seek orders from those consulted. When a reporter drew Law Ministers attention towards Al-Jehad Trust case in which the court has made its interpretation of the word 'consultation making advice binding on the competent authority, Awan replied that the said decision by the apex court applied only to appointment of judges in the superior judiciary and had nothing to do with executive appointments. He insisted that appointment in question was a non-judicial appointment. Pointing out what he called double standards of PML-N, Awan said under what law and authority Nawaz Sharif used helicopters of some intelligence agencies as former PM and what law authorised him to chair official and party meetings at the CM Secretariat. Talking about objections raised by the PML-N over non-implementation of Charter of Democracy (CoD), he said that 80 per cent of its provisions had been implemented and the remaining 20 per cent would also have been put in place if the PML-N was ready to take three actions to improve relations between the two parties. Enumerating the three actions required to be taken by the PML-N, the Law Minister said that PML-N should agree to establishment of constitutional courts, show respect for PPP leadership, especially the President, as agreed in the CoD that the two parties would respect each others leaders, take back the controversial appointment of Rana Maqbool, a proclaimed offender and an accused in murder attempt on President Zardari, and that of General Ziauddin Butt, who had some role in imposition of October 12, 1999 martial law in the country. Replying to a question, he said PPP was not leaving Punjab government because people had given it the mandate to serve them as coalition partner.