PESHAWAR - As many as two Frontier Reserve Police personnel were killed while FRP Deputy Commandant Malak Tariq and three other policemen were injured in a suicide attack on their vehicle at Hayatabad here Thursday.

According to AFP, a spokesman for the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed the attack in a statement on the group’s website.

The convoy of Deputy Commandant Malak Tariq, escorted by his guards left for office from his home, has travelled just a few yards, when suddenly a bomber wearing an explosive jacket rammed his motorcycle into the vehicle of Malak Tariq, causing a huge blast.

Resultantly, two policemen-Lal Bahadar and Ibrar Hussain and a passerby died on the spot while four others including Deputy Commandant Malak Tariq, his driver Meena Dar, bodyguards Ismail Khan and Noor Bahadar and two passersby Mir Wali and Khuda Nazar sustained injuries. The injured were rushed to Hayatabad Medical Complex for treatment, where the condition of the Deputy Commandant is stated to be out of danger. The injured have got multiple wounds; however, the two passersby are in critical condition.

It seems that bomber’s target was the FRP Deputy Commandant. It has also been reported that Tariq has received wounds on his head and arm but his condition was said to be out of danger.

It was massive blast as the targeted vehicle has severely damaged. Moreover, windowpanes of nearby houses also smashed which caused a sense of fear among residents of the area.

SSP Operation Mian M Saeed told reporters at the site of the explosion that the suicide bomber rammed his motorcycle into the vehicle when Malak Tariq was coming from his home to office. The vehicle has been destroyed completely due to the massive explosion that was heard in nearly two-kilometre radius.

According to AIG Bomb Disposal Squad Malak Shafqat about seven to eight kilogram high packed explosives were used in the explosion. He said body parts of the bomber were found from the side of the occurrence.

In addition, parts of destroyed bike were also collected and examined for further investigation.

Following the blast, police rushed to the site, cordoned off the area and started search operation and apprehended more than a dozen suspected people and held for interrogation. The FRP is an auxiliary force that can be called up to help the regular police in times of need.

Later, funeral prayers of two policemen Lal Bahadur and Ibrar Hussian were offered at Malak Saad Police Line. Chief Minister Pervez Khattak, IGP Nasar Khan Durani, Commandant FRP, DIGs, SSPs and other attended their Nimaz-e-Janza. The bodies were dispatched to their home towns for burial.

Police registered an FIR of the suicide blast at CTD police station under terrorism act.

Meanwhile, PM Nawaz Sharif, CM Pervez Khattak and Governor Mehtab Ahmad Khan condemned the blast in strong worlds.

Sardar Mahtab Ahmad Khan said that the determination and commitment of Pak Army jawans, police as well as other security forces in launching successful operations of Zarbe Azab, Khyber-I and Khyber-II, have forced the militants on the run. He expressed the hope that soon peace would prevail in the country in general and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Fata in particular.

This he said while visiting the Hayatabad Medical Complex where he enquired about the health of the Deputy Commandant of Frontier Reserve Police (FRP) Malik Tariq and other policemen who were injured in the suicide blast.

The governor greatly commended the sacrifices of the Pak Army jawans, police and other security forces as well as the tribal people in the successful war against terrorism and stated that terrorists would be eliminated at all cost.

The governor met the injured officers and directed the HMC authorities to utilise all means to save precious lives. He also handed over cash donation to the injured personnel of police.