NEW YORK - Dr Aafia Siddiqui, who is detained in a high-security US prison on charges that she tried to kill American interrogators in Afghanistan, has been diagnosed with chronic depression, according to court documents released Friday. The warden at the Metropolitan Detention Centre in Brooklyn, a borough of New York City, notified a judge Thursday of the diagnosis made on the US educated Dr Siddiqui. Warden Cameron Lindsay says a prison psychologist visited Siddiqui twice this month. Dr Siddiqui was brought to New York on August 4 for trial after being arrested in the Afghan town of Ghazni on July 17. She is charged with grabbing a gun and trying to shoot US soldiers and FBI agents during a confrontation in which she received two bullet wounds. Her lawyers have repeatedly talked about her deteriorating physical and mental condition and have called for her to be shifted to a hospital. Federal Judge Richard Berman ordered an examination of Dr Siddiqui last week after she refused to appear in court to answer charges because of her objection to being strip-searched before coming to the court, a requirement for all defendants held in custody. Dr Siddiqui, a neuroscientist who disappeared mysteriously in Pakistan in 2003, was examined and first diagnosed with psychosis on Tuesday, September 2 by Bureau of Prisons psychologist Dr Diane McLean, according to a letter on Thursday from MDC Warden Linday to Judge Berman. She is reported to be in "depressed mood, anxiety, and ruminative thoughts concerning her son's welfare, poor sleep, and moderate appetite." The letter also describes a hallucination: "She also reported seeing her daughter in her cell, and was unable to apply appropriate reality testing to this phenomenon." Dr Siddiqui politely declined to receive psychotropic drugs, the letter said. Last week's hearing also discussed, among other things, Dr Siddiqui's refusal to meet with her court-appointed lawyer, Elizabeth Fink. Dr Siddiqui refused that physical examination on Friday, September 5. At the last hearing, Ms Fink denounced the indictment accusing Dr Siddiqui of attempted murder, saying it was meant to prejudice public opinion against her client. She previously had denied the charges. "She's a really smart person, but she's a mess, judge," said Ms Fink, referring to medial and mental condition. "We believe it's because she's been tortured." Following Judge Berman orders, Dr Siddiqui was re-examined on Tuesday September 9, according to the warden's letter. She was again diagnosed with depressive type psychosis, this time chronic, by Dr McLean. Dr Siddiqui spoke through a blanket she held over her head, and, speaking "politely," said, "I do not want to kill myself." The letter said that Dr Siddiqui has been subject to routine mental health check-ups ten times in August and six times so far in September. Elaine Whitfield Sharp, Dr Siddiqui's family lawyer, described the diagnosis as "to be expected." Ms Sharp described Siddiqui as "heartbroken," a mother separated from her children and then held in prison. Ms Sharp said that Siddiqui was having a "normal human reaction to what's going on."