LONDON (AFP) Chelsea extended their lead at the top of the English Premier League table despite a 3-3 draw with Everton on Saturday after champions Manchester United suffered a shock 1-0 loss at home to Aston Villa. The results left Chelsea three points in front of second-placed United. Sir Alex Fergusons men kicked off Saturdays late match knowing Chelsea had already dropped points. But they were undone when Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor headed in a cross from fellow England international Ashley Young in the 21st minute. United striker Wayne Rooney hit the crossbar and late on visiting goalkeeper Brad Friedel saved from Dimitar Berbatov as Villa, winning at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years, moved up into third place. Second-half we deserved something, first-half Villa played very well, United manager Ferguson told ESPN. We had chances, we just didnt take any. But they (Villa) worked their socks off, you give them full credit for that, Ferguson added. Villa boss Martin ONeill said: Weve got a fine set of young players coming in now and they are giving absolutely everything to the game and thats all I can ask for. Just recently, weve tightened up a wee bit defensively and that has made a marked improvement. Everton went ahead at Stamford Bridge when Louis Sahas header came off the post and hit Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech for a 12th-minute own goal. But Didier Drogba, played in by Frank Lampard, levelled for Chelsea in the 18th minute with a shot from the edge of the box. Fellow forward Nicolas Anelka gave Chelsea, beaten 2-1 by Manchester City last weekend, the lead with a well-taken finish in the 23rd minute. But Everton fought back when substitute Aiyegbeni Yakubu made it 2-2 on the stroke of half-time. Ivory Coast striker Drogba restored Chelseas lead by powering in his 18th goal in 20 games in all competitions this season in the 59th minute. But minutes later Everton were level again when Drogbas headed clearance hit Saha on the head and looped over Cech. We made some mistakes at set-plays, Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti told Sky Sports. We lost a game against Aston Villa and then we worked on the set-plays and improved. Now we have to do the same. Everton manager David Moyes added: To come here and get a draw was terrific. I thought we deserved it for our resilience and endeavour. Wolves climbed out of the relegation zone with a 1-0 win away to Tottenham, who missed out on the chance to go third. Manchester City, reduced to 10 men, came back three times in a 3-3 draw with struggling Bolton while Birmingham beat West Ham 1-0. Younes Kabouls stoppage-time equaliser gave bottom of the table Portsmouth a 1-1 draw away to Sunderland after Darren Bent had put the hosts ahead. But the French defenders joy was cut short when he was sent-off for removing his shirt while celebrating the goal, having already been booked. Elsewhere, Burnley and Fulham drew 1-1, Stoke and Wigan finished all square at 2-2 and Hull and Blackburn shared the points in a goalless draw. Ivan Klasnic gave relegation-threatened Bolton an 11th minute lead against Manchester City. Cash-rich City were struggling until Carlos Tevez drew them level in the 28th minute. Bolton regained the lead with Gary Cahills curling shot two minutes before the interval but there was still time for Citys Micah Richards to make it 2-2 ahead of half-time. Klasnic scored his second in the 53rd minute strike and things got worse for City when Craig Bellamy was sent-off for diving. But City equalised when Tevez scored his second goal in the 77th minute. The in-form Lee Bowyer scored Birminghams winner in the 52nd minute and West Ham were reduced to 10 men when Mark Noble was sent-off. Bobby Zamora put Fulham go 1-0 up in the 50th minute before Wade Elliott levelled for Burnley 10 minutes later. Stoke goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen saved his third penalty in four games to ensure the Potters came away with a point Wigan went through Emmerson Boyces early header but Tuncay Sanli brought the hosts level. A sensational goal from Maynor Figueroa, who beat Sorensen with a perfectly-placed dipping strike from inside his own half, restored Wigans lead only for Ryan Shawcross to equalise moments later. At White Hart Lane, Wolves clung on to a third-minute lead secured when Kevin Doyle turned in Nenad Milijass free-kick. Arsenal, who started the weekend in third place, face Liverpool on Sunday.