PESHAWAR - Amidst fear and confusion, repatriation of internally displaced persons (IDPs) belonging to Swat and other parts of Malakand division started from Jalozai Camp, Nowshera, and two other camps in Charsadda on Monday. However, according to other reports, volume of the return was very low mainly due to security restrictions. On their arrival at Landaki, the gateway to Swat Valley, the IDPs were welcomed by the NWFP Senior Minister Bashir Ahmad Bilour, Provincial Forest Minister Wajid Ali Khan and MPA Sher Shah Khan. The convoys of IDPs were escorted by contingents of the security forces. Curfew was imposed in several cities and towns of Malakand Agency to ensure safety and security of the IDPs. The NWFP Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti inaugurated the repatriation process of IDPs by seeing off the dwellers of Palosa Camp in Charsadda. The civil authorities including District Coordination Officer Nowshera and Emergency Response Units Abid Majid saw off the IDPs at Jalozai Camp. On the first day of repatriation phase-1, 108 families from Jalozai and 96 families from Palosa and Salim Sugar Mills Camp, Charsadda, returned to their homes. The IDPs from villages Landaki, Kota, Abooha, Gortai and Barikot returned home. The dwellers from Barikot to Balogram would be repatriated from Swabi and Mardan camps today. The repatriation phase-1 is focused on the returning home of IDPs who are residing in camps whereas in the next phases, the displaced persons residing in schools and other rented and gifted houses would be repatriated. On repatriation, the displaced children shook hands with the civil and military officials who along with a large number of people saw off the returnees. Seeing off the IDPs at Charsadda, the NWFP Chief Minister Amir Haider Khan Hoti reaffirmed governments stance of continuing assistance to these people at their hometowns and villages. These people deserve help and assistance as they are going to start a new life, he remarked. In this respect, he diverted attentions towards destruction of houses and other infrastructure at the hands of militants. The NWFP Chief Minister appreciated the contribution of IDPs in the elimination of terrorists and militants and said, They fought a war for the survival of the country in particular and the rest of the world in general. He said that with the help of these IDPs, the security forces succeeded to dislodge the terrorists network in the region. The first convoy of IDPs entered Swat Valley after a journey of around six hours. The passengers were checked time and again at several checkpoints on their way to Landaki. No one was allowed either to embark or disembark from the buses during the journey. The civil and military authorities, however, distributed water, juices and biscuits amongst the passengers. At different points, packets of food and drinks were also distributed amongst the returning IDPs. Agencies add: Only a fraction of nearly two million Pakistanis displaced in an onslaught against the Taliban went home on Monday. The government laid on buses and trucks to return displaced families, the first day of large-scale organised returns, but only a fraction of the families earmarked for voluntary return actually left the camps. Azam Khan, a senior official in the governments emergency response unit said 192 families out of an estimated 2,680 left three camps on Monday. We expect an increase in coming days, Khan told reporters at Charsadda, where 22 out of a planned 247 families left for the northwest Swat district. Dozens of displaced people blocked a road outside one Charsadda camp vowing not to return until they received ATM bank cards on which they can draw 25,000 rupees (300 dollars) of financial aid to rebuild their lives. Some people did not receive their ATM cash cards and they refused to go until they got this card, said Khan. At Jazolai, where about 4,000 families have been sheltering in a camp near the town of Nowshera, 50-year-old Shireenzada said he was unsure whether peace had returned to his hometown of Barikot in Swat. Im going back home voluntarily and nobody forced me to leave... But Im really uncertain and dont know if peace has actually returned to my area, he told AFP as he and 10 of his relatives stepped into a bus. Most of the displaced people moved in with family or friends but nearly 300,000 were settled in tent camps. Their plight is a sensitive issue for the government, which could see support for its more than two-month drive against the Taliban eroded if they are seen to be suffering unduly. Fawad Ali, a 30-year-old barber, was loading his belongings, including donated bags of flour and lentils, onto the back of a truck as his family waited nearby. He said he hoped the Taliban had gone for good. Were pinning our hopes on the governments efforts because were jobless. They banned our business, Ali said, referring to a Taliban ban on barbers cutting mens hair. Government officials say services are up and running, that soldiers will remain in the area and every effort will be made to protect civilians.