Agencies/Monitoring-NANKANA SAHIB-Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) Chairman Siddiqul Farooq accused PML-N MPA Zulqarnain Dogar of backing up land mafia who planned his alleged murder.

Speaking at a press conference here on Saturday, Siddiqul Farooq stated that some 200 men attacked his convoy while armed men opened fire, leaving two of his security guards injured. “Luckily I narrowly escaped the ‘apparent attempt’ on my life, though the land-grabbers led by the MPA had made a foolproof plan,” he claimed.

He alleged that councillor Riaz Chaudhry and MPA Zulqarnain Dogar pocketed millions of rupees from grabbing of state land.

The ETPB chairman pointed out that the board had written to the Nankana Sahib DPO prior to the launching of the operation for the retrieval of the trust’s land. “Why the DCO did not act against the violent mob that attacked the officials discharging duty,” he posed a question.

He claimed that the attack was a planned activity, adding that Punjab IG Police Mushtaq Ahmed Sukhera and the Home Secretary have been informed about the clash.

On the other hand, refuting the allegation, MPA Dogar stated that the locals turned violent after women were tortured during the operation. He asserted that the issue would be raised before party’s leadership.

Earlier, at least six policemen and a civilian got injured during clash erupted after the ETPB launched an anti-encroachment drive in Nankana Sahib on Saturday.

The operation was launched to vacate eight kanal of land from the encroachers in a village near Kot Sant Ram bypass.

The locals gathered against the anti-encroachment operation and started protesting against ETPB.

As police tried to disperse the mob, angry protestors pelted them with stones, injuring six policemen. In reaction, a civilian was injured as police resorted to baton charge and aerial firing.

The operation was suspended as police and the Auqaf Department workers were outnumbered by the protestors.

The protestors attacked and damaged the ETPB chairman’s vehicle, vandalised the board office later set the building on fire. As a result, property worth millions of rupees and records were gutted.