KARACHI - A police inspector was killed and three others wounded in two separate attacks on police mobiles in District East and South areas while the police personnel escaped bomb attacks in District Central here on Friday.

The targeted attack on police continued in the city which claimed the life of an assistant sub inspector here on Friday.

ASI Arshad Mehmood Tanoli, 46, was killed while head constable Ghulam Ali Jatoi was wounded when gunmen riding a motorcycle sprayed bullets on the police patrolling car near Sadder Parking Plaza, Saddar.

Brigade police station SHO Ghulam Nabi Afridi who was suspended and demoted said the police personnel were deployed at the specific point to guard the Chief Justice of the Sindh High Court who is using the route of New Preedy Street for going court.

The victim police officer was transferred and posted to Brigade police station about a month ago. He hailed from Haripur Hazara. He was shot six times while the injured cop sustained four bullets. Police also recovered 10 empty shells of 9mm pistol from the crime scene. A departmental inquiry against DSP Ali Muhammad Khosa has also been ordered following the incident.

Within 15 minutes, another similar incident was occurred within the jurisdiction of Preedy police station where two policemen and three bystanders were wounded.

The injured included head constable, Asif Javed, 38, a constable Abrar Fayyaz, 35, and three passersby namely Furqan Riaz, 45, Nadeem Jumman, 38, and his eight-year-old son Daroof.

The incident occurred when armed motorcyclists attacked a police mobile of Preedy police station near Tibbat Centre on MA Jinnah Road. Fortunately, the cracker bomb hurled by the motorcyclists did not directly hit the police mobile but it fell onto the road and exploded with a loud bang.

SHO Ejaz Khawaja said the police personnel in their mobile were busy in routine snap-checking when the incident took place.

On the other side, police personnel of the Sir Syed police station escaped the bomb attacks near UP Morr, North Karachi. Police officials said the police personnel, in two police mobiles, were busy in snap-checking when armed motorcyclists threw two bombs but both the bombs were not exploded. Police cordoned off the area and immediately called the experts from the bomb disposal squad.

The BD experts reached the site and defused both the bombs. The experts said both the bombs were concealed in the bottles and each contained 650 grams of explosives including nails. Both the bombs had also contained some kind of chemicals which could be used to flare up the fire.

Following frequent attacks on the police, the police personnel have been asked to keep four policemen on two motorcycles along with a police mobile to avoid attacks. The police high ups have also warned the SHOs to follow the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)s about patrolling and snap-checking in the city. They have also been warned that the department will take action against the SHOs if their negligence were found in adopting the SOPs.

It is worth mentioning here that more than 200 security personnel including 190 police personnel and officers have so far been killed during the drive of targeted operation.