KARACHI - Driver Rafique and assistant driver Zakir Hussain of the privately-operated Pakistan Business Express were killed and many others sustained injuries on Tuesday when the train rammed into a goods train at Ranpathani Railway Station in the outskirts of Karachi.

The incident occurred when a freight train and the Lahore-bound Business Express, departing from Karachi, were collided, said Divisional Commercial Officer (DCO) of the Railways department.

Sources said the Business Express had collided with a stationary cargo train, causing several bogies of the Business Express derailed. Followed by the collision, several people were said to be wounded who were rushed to the nearby hospital for treatment.

Rescue teams were rushed to the spot from Karachi, Hyderabad and Thatta areas. They shifted the victims to hospital. Experts were also reached to the spot to restore the railway traffic.

Following the incident, railway services between Karachi and rest of the country were suspended while the railway engineers were trying to fix the track. Relatives of the train passengers rushed to Karachi Railway Stations to inquire after their loved ones. The Business Express train was carrying 270 passengers at the time of accident. It is worth mentioning here that the last worst accident took place in 2005 when three trains ploughed into each other in Sindh, killing over 100 people.

Meanwhile, two people were killed in separate violent incidents here on Tuesday. One Abdullah Akhter, 20, resident of Quaidabad, was shot dead by unknown assailants near his residence. Police said Abdullah was sitting near his residence near Gull Chowrangi when gunmen riding a motorbike resorted to firing and shot him multiple times. The assailants managed to flee from the scene while the victim was rushed to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre where doctors pronounced him dead. Police have yet to ascertain the motive behind the murder. Later it handed over the body to family after autopsy.

On the other side, Steel Town police found a tortured-mark body from the bushes near Samandri Baba shrine. The body was shifted to JPMC for autopsy which was later shifted to morgue where the victim was identified as Hashim, resident of Salar Goth. Police said he was abducted.

The motive behind the killing was personal enmity. Police handed the body over to the family after autopsy.