KABUL (AFP) - The Taliban targeted top government officials in Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing 11 people in two suicide blasts and firing rockets at the vice president and interior minister, who escaped unhurt. Nine civilians were among those who died in the attacks. Two of the strikes hit central Afghanistan, not far from the heavily secured capital Kabul, and were claimed by the Taliban. In the first, an attacker drove a car laden with explosives towards the education and agriculture departments in Mahmud Raqi, capital of Kapisa province northeast of Kabul. Officials said the driver blew himself up when he was stopped at a nearby checkpoint. The interior ministry said: As a result, five civilians and two policemen were martyred and one policeman and three civilians were injured. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said the militia had carried out the attack which he claimed had targeted the French ambassador to Afghanistan and French soldiers who were visiting the governors office at the time. The ambassador told AFP he was 15 minutes away when the attack happened and that no one among his party was hurt. I had a meeting this morning with the government then with all the Kapisa deputies. At the moment, I have nothing that allows me to think I was targeted, Bernard Bajolet said. The interior ministry added that the governors office was around two km from where the blast happened. Lieutenant Colonel Eric de la Presle, a spokesman for French troops based in Kapisa, said that no French soldiers were present at the time of attack. In the second incident, Afghan Vice President Karim Khalili and Interior Minister Besmullah Mohammadi escaped after a rocket attack targeted a police centre they were visiting but landed close by instead. Provincial spokesman Shahidullah Shahid said the attack happened in the Chaki Wardak district of Wardak province, a restive area west of Kabul. There was a security meeting in the police training centre at which the interior minister and second vice president were present, he said. After the meeting was over and we were leaving, a rocket landed within a few hundred metres of the centre but nobody was injured, he added. The Taliban also claimed responsibility for that attack. In the third attack, four civilians were killed when a suicide attacker apparently targeting Afghan officials in the restive eastern province of Paktia blew himself up. At around 3:30pm (1100 GMT), a suicide bomb blast in Sayid Karam district left four civilians dead, provincial spokesman Rohullah Samoon said. The target of the attacker was apparently the district chiefs office but he detonated himself before reaching the office.