YASIR MALIK IN Pakistan, which came into being in the name of Islam, the gap between rich and poor has been widening fast with every passing day. It is very depressing for common people that their welfare is being ignored by authorities and concerned departments. According to the World Bank report, 30 to 35 percent of the population is living on one dollar a day in Pakistan. As a result, they are suffering from malnourishment and food insecurity, which is basic right of the every citizen of an Islamic state. According to a hadith: All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does a black have any superiority over white except by piety and good action. Learn that every Muslim is a brother to every Muslim and that the Muslims constitute one brotherhood. Nothing shall be legitimate to a Muslim which belongs to a fellow Muslim unless it was given freely and willingly. Do not, therefore, do injustice to yourselves. Not only did Islam emphasize the equality principle theoretically, but did it practically in some of the worship acts that translated this principle into a sensible fact that does not escape people minds, thus: in the mosques where Friday prayer is held once every week, as well as the five daily prayers; equality is exercised practically and all the differences vanish among people. That is, whoever came to the Mosque first, takes his place in the front rows despite the fact that his financial position is weak. According to a recent report by the government of Pakistan, in 2006, the top 20 percent of income earners earned more than the total income of the rest of 80 percent population. The common people have started to believe that their well-being is not a high priority for the government, which seems more interested in protecting the strategic interests of the United States and multi-national companies. It is also a reality that most policies are against the poor. In 2000, the government signed the Millennium Declaration, along with other developing and poor countries, agreeing to change its policies for the welfare of the poor and to eliminate poverty and hunger. But after the lapse of seven years, more and more people are falling below the poverty line every day. Keeping all this in mind, it is quite evident that we have very little time left. It is the time that the young and new blood should stand up with full courage and determination against the poverty, injustice and inequality of our society. The young generation should raise their voice in front of the parliament and at any platform which could be effective for the elimination of poverty from society, keeping in mind that this is a goal for which the country was created. (The writer is the student of University of Central Punjab)