ISLAMABAD - ASMA GHANI and AZIZ ALVI - Health officials at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (Pims) on Saturday termed the condition of the gunman, who got injured during Thursday's standoff in front of the Parliament House, as stable and out of danger, while discharged his wife after her recovery.

According to the doctors who have been treating the gunman, Mohammad Sikandar, his condition is gradually improving and if the gunshot wounds to his right lung and left lower leg heal within 10 days and do not get infected due to rainy season, he would be able to be discharged soon.

The doctors put him off the ventilator machine on Friday afternoon but his oxygen supply through facemask is continued. He refused to give any statement to the police but talked to the hospital staff. The patient has been taking treatment and his behaviour is quite normal. He took liquids and medicines on Saturday, informed Pims Spokesperson Dr Waseem Khawaja.

His wife, Kanwal, who also suffered gunshot wound to her right thigh, was discharged on Saturday afternoon after her recovery.

Kanwal had alleged that her husband used to take drugs and alcohol and often beat her. During her stay at the hospital she kept asking about her children and wept for them, according to doctors. But Sikandar has denied that he has been a drug addict in his conversation with doctors. According to information, Pims Department Head of Psychiatry Dr Rizwan Taj held a detailed meeting with Sikandar and would submit his report regarding his mental condition and addiction on Monday. 

According to Dr Khawaja, three teams of health experts from departments of general surgery, orthopaedic and anaesthesia have been treating Sikandar. No VIP visited him but the police personnel stood guard outside the theatre intensive care unit where he has been kept.

Dr Ayesha, official spokesman of Pims, told media persons that Sikander had received bullets in his stomach and legs. Dr Khawaja, in another statement, also informed media that Dr Rizwan Taj, the hospital's psychiatrist, examined Kanwal and she was found mentally fit. Dr Taj has not still evaluated the mental health of Sikander, however, the patient in his informal talk has said he was satisfied with his action, Dr Khawaja also said.

The capital police took Kanwal into custody after the hospital administration discharged her. The doctors in the report have also stated that he was not a physiological patient at all. Kanwal has been kept at the women police station and further investigations were under way, a police official said.

Meanwhile, Sikandar’s wife utterly changed her stance after her arrest by the police from PIMS on Saturday.

Kanwal was discharged from the hospital after treatment and brought to Women police station under strict security arrangements. Her two children were also brought to her there. Investigation teams from Kohsar police station also reached there.

Answering questions of the investigators, Kanwal said she was taken hostage by her husband and brought to Blue Area as a hostage. She added her husband is an addict and often thrashes her. “I came to know after marriage that he is an addict. We came to Islamabad on August 11 from the house of Sikandar’s brother-in-law in Hafizabad. We went to Murree for one day. After return from Murree, we hired a room in a hotel located in Aabpara. One day before the Blue Area scene, when he pulled out two guns out of the warm clothes of my children, I was surprised and asked him what the matter is. Upon this he ordered me to remain quiet. Next day when he left the hotel with us in a rented car, I did not know what he was going to do.”

As she was told that her attitude was quite different when she was bringing written questions from her husband to police officers and she never asked the police to save the lives of her children as she was a hostage. “Instead, you played a role in the drama staged by your husband at Blue Area,” the police investigators said. She answered that she was the wife of a confused person and did not know what he was going to do. Both the children remained with their mother during the investigation and told the investigators repeatedly that their father often thrashed their mother.

Kanwal told the police that she was the second wife of Sikandar.  Before her marriage to him, he had married a Saudi national.

In view of security concerns, Kanwal and her children were shifted from Women police station to Police Lines Headquarters H-11 where entry of irrelevant people has been totally banned and commandos have been deployed around it.