KHYBER AGENCY - Two soldiers embraced martyrdom and eight others sustained injuries when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) planted by militants went off here in Koki Khel tehsil of Jamrud in Tirah Valley in the wee hours of Wednesday.

Sources in the security forces, while confirming the incident, said that the soldiers were on their routine patrolling when they were hit by the IED.

Soon after the incident, the reinforcement of troops moved to the site and shifted the wounded to Combined Military Hospital (CMH) Peshawar for medical treatment, sources said.

The deceased were identified as hawaldar Inayat and naik Detaal.

The injured included sepoy Muhammad Din, Imam-ud-Din, Seengar, Mumtaz, Tehsin, lance naik Mohammad Sohail, Naik Muhammad Riaz and hawaldar Muhammad Ameen.

Meanwhile, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor Eng Iqbal Zafar Jhagra on Wednesday expressed his deep shock and sorrow over the loss of precious lives in Khyber Agency’s Rajgal Valley blast.

In a statement, the governor expressed heartfelt sympathies with the members of the bereaved families and said that Pakistani nation stood united with military in the war against terrorism which will be rooted out by force of unity. He said the sacrifices rendered by security forces will not go waist, adding, that the operation against terrorists to curb the wave of militancy and terrorism will continue till elimination of the last terrorist.

He also prayed for eternal peace of the departed souls and courage to the bereaved families to bear the irreparable loss with patience. He also wished early recovery of the injured.


Meanwhile, District Police Officer (DPO) Buner Khalid Mehmood Hamdani survived a terror attack and bomb explosion. However, two of his security guards sustained injuries.

According to details, Hamdani was on way to attend a meeting with DIG Malakand. When he reached Nawagai area located in district Swat, a roadside planted improvised explosive device went off at around 11:30 am soon after the car he was traveling passed through.

Sources said the DPO remained unhurt in the blast, however, one of his security vehicles was reportedly damaged in the blast and two of his security guards sustained injuries. One injured police guard was identified as Nizam while name of the other injured guard could not be ascertained till filing of this report.

The injured police personnel were shifted to hospital, where there condition was stated to be stable. After the blast, sources added, the militants started firing on police and exchange of fire continued for some time. Police retaliated with full force, resultantly the attackers fled away.

Confirming the incident, police officials said the incident happened at Nawagai area which falls in the jurisdiction of district Swat. They said that DPO Buner remained safe in the attack.