The suspended session judge, Raja Khurram Ali Khan, and his wife, Maheen Zafar, have challenged the judgment of conviction against them in the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Friday. 

The accused have pleaded the IHC to form a divisional bench today to hear their appeal. 

Earlier in this week, on April 17, the IHC ruled the verdict in the Tayyaba torture case after over one year-long period of proceedings.

Justice Aamer Farooq of IHC ruled that the suspended judge Raja Khurram Ali Khan along with his wife Maheen Zafar would jailed for one year each in prison for torturing the child maid under Section 328-A which is related to being cruel to a child.

They were also fined Rs50,000 each for the crime of employing an underage (below 12 years of age) child. 

After the verdict, the accused filed for bail which was later approved by the same bench.

Furthermore, the court ruled that the bail will be valid for seven days and during that period an appeal could be file against the verdict. 

Earlier, the Islamabad High Court (IHC) ruled its verdict in the Tayyaba torture case after over a year-long period of proceedings.

Justice Aamer Farooq of IHC ruled that Additional District and Sessions Judge Raja Khurram Ali Khan and his wife Maheen Zafar would serve one year each in jail for torturing Tayyaba, the child maid. 

Moreover, both have also been fined Rs50,000 each. The accused were present in the court when the verdict was read out.  

After the final arguments from both sides, court reserved the judgment on March 27, 2017.

Earlier, on December 29, 2016, Tayyaba, a 10-year-old maid, was recovered from the house of the judge after receiving complaints of torture from neighbours. The issue sparked outrage on social media and led to calls for strict and swift justice.

Tayyaba, after being recovered by the law enforcement agencies, claimed that she fell from stairs but in the statement recorded for the First Information Report (FIR), the girl stated that she was tortured by the judge’s family.

Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Saqib Nisar had taken suo motu notice of the case of alleged torture on the 10-year old and constituted a division bench for hearing of the case.

The girl mysteriously went missing for several days before the upcoming hearing. She was later recovered from Islamabad 

District Magistrate Islamabad had wrote a letter to Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) administration ordering the formation of a new medical board to ascertain the facts in the torture case.

The medical board, in its report, mentioned that there were torture marks on the body of the girl.