KARACHI A cop and a Jundallah militant were killed while three others managed to escape from the City courts premises after a fierce gunbattle on Saturday. According to eyewitnesses, eight terrorists armed with sophisticated weapons barged into the building of District Central Courts and lobbed hand grenades at the policemen, which triggered a gunfight. During the intense exchange of fire, the militants shot dead Constable Shahbaz, deployed for the security of militants, and got freed their handcuffed associates Murtaza, Shakeel Farooqi, Murad Shah and Wazeer Muhammad. The militants were brought to the court in connection with hearing of a case, said Town Police Officer Saddar SP Amir Farooqi. Farooqi further said the culprits fled in two directions as one group moved towards the Napier Road while another opted for Jodia Bazaar. A police mobile standing outside the premises chased the attackers running toward Jodia Bazaar. When they reached Nawab Bakery, within the Risala Police Station precincts, an exchange of fire took place in which one of the militants was killed, he added. According to a police source, Murad Shah pulled out the pin of a hand grenade before his capture to avoid arrest while the remaining three managed to escape along with the attackers. The police said the accused were earlier arrested for their alleged involvement in Ashura bomb blasts but they obtained bail from a local court. But the Anti-Car Lifting Cell captured them again and brought to the City Courts for remand. They were brought to the court around 10am and their case was to be heard at 12:15pm. A source said the accused were sitting inside the premises when the armed men attacked and killed the lone constable deployed for their security. An eyewitness Abrar Advocate told The Nation that the incident took place after the Zohr prayers when two armed men came out from the mosque and threw two grenades and resorted to indiscriminate fire. As a result, the panicked people started running for safety.