KARACHI/HYDERABAD - Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaf (PTI) candidates won one national assembly and two Sindh assembly seats in Karachi after Sunday’s revote on 43 polling stations, according to unofficial results.

The re-polling, which took place in a tense atmosphere, remained peaceful under army’s watch.

PTI’s Arif Alvi won NA-250 seat by securing 17,489 votes, far more than 446 votes of his main opponent Naimatullah Khan of Jamaat-i-Islami. PTI’s Khuram Sher Zaman took clear lead over ANP’s Khalid Iqbal on provincial assembly seat PS-112, while PTI’s Samar Ali Khan also left behind his main rival, PML-N’s Saleem Zia, in PS-113.

The revote had been ordered over allegations of ballot stuffing in the port city, which was the focus for fraud allegations during May 11 general elections that saw some 50 million Pakistanis vote across the country. Two major players, Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) boycotted the revote after the election commission rejected their demands of a redo for the whole of these constituencies.

Voting started at 8am and continued till 5pm without a break under tight security. Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) spokesman said that officials had supervised the balloting, which they said went smoothly throughout the day without any hitch. He added that polling staff and election material was dispatched on time for the partial re-election.

Of total 180 polling stations of the NA-250, the Returning Officer had already sealed the results of 137 polling stations, in which MQM’s Khushbakht Shujat was in lead. But unofficial results showed that now PTI’s Alvi has a clear majority to reach national assembly.

A low voter turnout was reported in MQM dominated areas. However, long queues of voters were seen in the affluent DHA as around 86,000 eligible citizens used their right to franchise. Another major reason for overall lower turnout was the highly charged atmosphere in a city infamous for political violence. Shops were closed in some areas and a soldier said that despite heavy presence of the security forces, people were scared as unidentified miscreants kept firing guns the night before. Voters also complained of problems in casting their votes at some polling stations.

The voting came just a day after three gunmen on a motorbike killed Zehra Hussain, 59, vice president of PTI women wing, outside her home. PTI chief Imran Khan blamed the MQM, specifically its boss Altaf Hussain who lives in exile in London, for the killing. Altaf Hussain and MQM senior leader Farooq Sattar strongly denied the allegation and the party expressed strong reaction. Dozens of MQM workers staged a sit-in at Ayesha Manzil in Karachi and chanted slogans against the PTI chief.

MQM activists also took out rallies in Hyderabad and staged a sit-in outside the local press club. Unidentified persons also torched three vehicles, attacked the residences of two PTI leaders, attacked a Lahore-bound train and injured its driver, and opened indiscriminate firing in various localities of Hyderabad.