LAHORE  - Garments and valuables worth millions of rupees were reduced to ashes when fire broke into a shop in a multi-storey plaza in Gulberg, rescue workers said Saturday.

According to firefighters, the fire broke out in the garment’s shop in Rauf Plaza located near Hussain Chowk because of short-circuiting on early Saturday.  As a result, readymade garments mostly bridal dresses worth millions of rupees were reduced to ashes within minutes. At least five firefighting units responded to the emergency call and managed to put out the blaze after hectic efforts. Further investigation was underway.

In another incident, good and valuables were hundreds of thousands of rupees were gutted when fire broke out inside a gas-cylinder shop at Ravi Road.  Several gas cylinders exploded one after the other as the fire spread to the entire building. Some motorcycles parked outside the shop also caught fire and were badly damaged.  Police sources said that Muhammad Amjad had illegally set up LPG refilling unit in the area. The cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained. Police are investigating.