ISLAMABAD - Contrary to the stance of intelligence agencies, ISI and IB, the Balochistan provincial administration told the Supreme Court on Thursday that the information provided to them was not specific about the February 16 bombing, wherein over 87 Hazaras lost their lives.

A three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, hearing case of killing of Hararas on Kinrani Road on February 16, had sought comprehensive report from FC Commandant. Major Sohail, appearing on behalf of FC commandant, said that the commandant could not come due to operational commitments.

Attorney General for Pakistan Irfan Qadir submitted a report on behalf of the federation, and said it should be treated as report from both the prime minister and the president. He requested the court to keep the contents of the report confidential. The chief justice said they have kept the other reports, submitted yesterday (Wednesday), in sealed cover though the parties had not requested confidentiality for some of those reports.

Quetta CCPO Mir Zubair Mehmood informed the court that no specific information was received. But the chief justice said the agencies had shared the information about the imminent threat, while IB report itself was an ‘eye opener’. Balochistan Home Secretary Akbar Durrani however said after the Alamdar incident, general threat alerts were received but those were not specific.

The DIG also said that agencies information was sketchy. The chief justice remarked that the agencies some time could not tell exactly when and where the incident would take place. The chief justice questioned when the information was received from the agencies that such incident was going to take place then why the administration did not take precautionary measures.

The CCPO briefed the court about the on ground situation and the efforts being made to protect the life of people before and after the incident. The CCPO said that on Kanrani Road there was one police and two FC check posts. He said after the Alamdar Road incident they had put in place an elaborate security plan but the terrorists changed their strategy. Due to shortage of water in that area the water tankers were frequently going in that locality therefore they did not check the tanker.

Justice Khilji told the CCPO that during the hearing of the case at Quetta Branch Registry the court had ordered for installing CCTV camera, control the illegal sale of SIMs and the vehicles but no steps in that regard were taken. The chief justice said under the law, police was bound to provide protection to all segments and take special arrangement for that. Mir Zubair said an SP and staff of a police station situated in that area have also been killed in that incident therefore it was wrong impression that police did not do anything. He said they had taken into custody over 100 illegal vehicles.

The chief justice told the Quetta CCPO that they have great trust in him. The police should have launched the crackdown and after complete combing they could have traced out the culprits, the CJP said. He gave example of General Imran who in 1986 launched a cleanup operation. The chief justice remarked, “You should keep in your mind that you are not only the CCPO of Quetta but also a son of the soil. It is your duty to protect their (follow citizens) lives as God has given you this opportunity.”

To boast CCPO’s morale, the chief justice told him to ‘keep it up and don’t be demoralised, as challenges do come in life’. The CCPO said “The available resources were put to maximum utilisation and by the grace of God soon we will have success.” The DIG said, “I’m proud of commandant Quetta though 15 members of police died in the incident but my force is willing to fight and lay down their life for good cause.” The hearing adjourned until February 26.