LONDON (AFP) West Bromwich Albion kept the pressure on Newcastle with a 3-2 win over Preston on Saturday, while the Championship leaders fought back to snatch a 2-2 draw at managerless Bristol City. Roberto Di Matteos second placed side are just two points behind Newcastle after extending their winning run to four matches. Ben Watson, on loan from Wigan, scored his first goal for Albion in the seventh minute and Chris Brunts 11th goal of the season gave the hosts a two-goal lead after just nine minutes at the Hawthorns. Sean St Ledger pulled one back with a diving header for Preston in the 15th minute, but Graham Dorrans hit a brilliant 30-yard free-kick to restore Albions advantage in the 33rd minute. A dramatic first half ended with Preston striker Neil Mellor reducing the deficit again in the 43rd minute but Albion held on after the interval. At Ashton Gate, Bristol City were playing for the first time since the departure of manager Gary Johnson and they enjoyed an impressive start under caretaker boss Keith Millen. Lewin Nyatanga put the hosts ahead in the 10th minute, then Nicky Maynard scored with a superb effort in the 44th minute. But Jonas Gutierrez got a goal back for Newcastle in the 71st minute after a mix-up between City goalkeeper Dean Gerken and team-mate Cole Skuse. Just four minutes later, Andy Carroll drew Newcastle level with a cool finish from Wayne Routledges cross. Third placed Nottingham Forest remain eight points behind Albion after a 1-0 win over rock bottom Peterborough at the City Ground. The only goal arrived in the 13th minute as Welsh striker Robert Earnshaw hit the target to give Forest their 11th successive home victory. Swansea, in fourth place, were forced to settle for a 1-1 draw at QPR as Antonio German spoiled Paulo Sousas return to Loftus Road. Sousa, sacked by Rangers in April 2009, saw Nathan Dyer put his team ahead in the 57th minute, but the former Portugal star finished frustrated as teenage striker German struck from close-range in the 76th minute. Play-off hopefuls Doncaster and Sheffield United shared a 1-1 draw at the Keepmoat Stadium after James Harpers 88th minute goal cancelled out James Hayters fifth minute opener. At the other end of the table, Scunthorpe climbed out of the relegation zone with a crucial 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Plymouth at Glanford Park. Scunthorpe trailed to Jamie Mackies 28th goal but Garry Thompson equalised four minutes later, then Martyn Woolford bagged the winner in the 65th minute to leave Plymouth second bottom. Crystal Palace, hit with a 10-point penalty for going into administration earlier in the season, have fallen to third bottom after being held to a 2-2 draw at Blackpool. Paul Harts side led 2-0 thanks to goals from Australian midfielder Nick Carle in the third minute and Darren Ambrose in the 34th minute. But Charlie Adam gave Blackpool hope with his 47th minute strike and Ben Burgess equalised in the 89th minute. Roy Keanes Ipswich moved away from the drop zone with a 1-0 win over Barnsley, Middlesbrough drew 1-1 with Reading and Sheffield Wednesday drew 0-0 with Derby.