Rawalpindi - A 24-year-old girl died yesterday when she was thrown out from the window of a residential flat located on the third floor of a plaza located in the largest private housing society of the country.

Police said the girl was allegedly raped before she was thrown out of the flat. The alleged murderer of the girl was also arrested by police after filing a case on the complaint of the brother of the deceased.

The murder accused was identified as Umair Imtiaz alias Makki. He hails from Vehari. He was shifted to a hospital for treatment as he also sustained injuries. The deceased girl was identified as Tahmina Kausar who was a resident of Mohalla Imambargah Sirpak, Chakwal.

According to Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Sajid Gondal, the incident took place at 4:00am. “The skull bone of girl was fractured while there was less blood on the place from where her dead body was recovered,” he said. He said that during initial report it was suggested that the girl was raped before she was thrown out of the window. However, police are waiting for final medical report, he said. He said that police also arrested Umair, the alleged killer, and shifted him to a hospital as he also sustained injuries.

The boy stated before the investigators that he had married Tehmian but he failed to produce marriage certificate when demanded. “The accused also stated that the girl was suffering from various diseases including hysteria,” the police officer said. He said that the accused also told police that two friends of him were present at the flat in the night but they went out after dinner and he and Tehmina were alone in the flat.

Sharing further details, the DSP said that the girl came to Rawalpindi from Chakwal on November 18 along with her grandfather for his medical check-up from a hospital. After getting medicines, the girl sent her grandfather back to Chakwal and made a phone call to her mother that she would go to Islamabad to get his degree from the university.

“Tehmina Kausar did masters in defence and strategic studies from Qauid-e-Azam University,” he said. He said that after sending her grandfather back to home, she went to Umair Makki with whom she contacted on a social media website Facebook two years ago and later developed friendship.

The accused holds MBA and law degrees and was also helping her in preparation for CSS, he said.

“At first, the couple stayed at Best Western Hotel in the federal capital and then they arrived at a flat number 58, located on the 3rd floor of Shehzad Arcade,” the DSP said adding that during this the girl kept her mother informing on phone that she was staying in the QAU and would come back to Chakwal after getting her degree.

The police officer said that Adnan, brother of the deceased, lodged a complaint before police and stated that her sister went missing three days ago. He also added that she was unmarried. Police registered a murder case against Umair on the complaint of Adnan.

Investigation officer, Sub-Inspector Zaheeruddin Babar, when contacted, said that Tehmina phoned her mother on November 20 that Umair along with two of his friends detained her in a flat and was forcing her for marriage. Upon this, her mother sent her brother Adnan and two other persons to get her back to home.

Babar said when the victim’s brother and his companions reached the plaza, they heard screams of his sister and soon after this, she was allegedly thrown from out from the third floor, he said.

“The girl was taken to District Headquarters (DHQ) Hospital where the doctors pronounced her dead,” he told. He said that after the post mortem, the dead body was handed over to her heirs for burial in Chakwal. “Umair was trying to run away from the crime scene while climbing down but was held by the security guards,” he said and added he received some injuries in his feet when he rolled down from the stairs of the first floor. “The accused is still in DHQ Hospital and being treated by doctors,” he said.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister of Punjab (CM) Shahbaz Sharif while taking notice of the atrocious incident expressed grief and sought a final report from Regional Police Officer (RPO) as early as possible.