LAHORE The massive protests by affected students against the errors and omissions forced the authorities to cancel the Intermediate Part I results of four education boards in Punjab on Saturday, and it has been decided that results of all eight boards will be rechecked. The step, unprecedented in the education history of the province, came after students surrounded the buildings of concerned boards in Lahore, Multan and Faisalabad, while enraged students ransacked the offices of Gujranwala Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education (BISE). The protests against the debilitating omissions and errors in results published online that authorities at first tried to deny, ultimately forced them to also announce free re-checking of Part-2 results as the media highlighted the scale of failure of the handlers, and possibly the developers, of the newly-adopted computerised system. Feeling heat of the protests, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif chaired an emergency meeting on the matter. The meeting decided that results of all candidates of intermediate Part-I of all the eight educational boards of the province will be rechecked, whereas those students of intermediate Part-II, who secured marks in 600-900 range and are unsatisfied their results, can get there it rechecked without any fee. The CM also directed the authorities concerned that after rechecking, the result of intermediate part-I should be declared within 45 days, whereas the result of part-II students seeking re-checking should be announced within 20 days. Addressing the meeting, Shahbaz said that he was deeply shocked over the inconvenience faced by the students and their parents due to delay in the announcement of result and other flaws, and assured that the persons responsible for it will not escape accountability. The meeting also decided to submit an application to the High Court for constituting a Judicial Commission comprising High Court judges for probing into the matter. Later, provincial Education Minister Mujtaba Shuja-ur-Rahman while talking to media said that Intermediate Boards of Lahore, Gujranwala, Faisalabad and Multan had cancelled the first-year results. The minister said results would be announced again after two months. The minister informed that the chief minister had constituted an inquiry committee to investigate the issue. He said that the second-year students, who are doubtful about their results, could get their papers rechecked without any fee. He defended the online system of examination results and said that the system itself was error-free but the mistakes took place due to lack of awareness among the staff operating the system. Earlier, hundreds of students staged a protest demonstration in front of the BISE Lahore office. Angry students chanted slogans against the board management and blocked the road. They also tried to break the gates of the building but heavy police presence deterred them to do so. The students and their parents demanded the chief minister take notice and punish the responsible. They held the prevalent corruption among the education department responsible for the chaos. Some of them believed that the staff failed the computerised system intentionally because its success would diminish their chances for easy money. Others seemed to buy the line that authorities launched the online system sans training the personnel, which resulted in the blunders. They told that many students who even did not appear in the exam were declared successful and many students who never failed in their educational career and were expecting excellent results were declared fail. They said they also faced huge troubles in getting their exam slips, and complained of 'organised corruption at the board offices. Different sections of society expressed their support for the students cause but said that attack on the public properties the students cannot be justified on any pretext. Staff reporters add: The worst of the students came in Gujranwala where enraged students set on fire main office of the Gujranwala board. The police resorted to tear gas shelling and aerial firing to control the situation, and as many as 13 students were injured in clashes with the police. A large number of students gathered in front of the BISE office Saturday morning to protest against what they called 'criminal negligence and misconduct of the BISE officers regarding their results. They initially shouted slogans against the BISE Chairman and Controller Examinations for not accommodating them and plating with their educational careers. The Gujranwala BISE has failed to deliver result cards to a large number of Intermediate students due to which they could not apply for admissions in graduation classes. The students said this inordinate delay destroyed their chances to get admissions in universities and professional colleges. The atmosphere heated up gradually and the absence of police also encouraged the protesters. Hundreds of students, carrying batons, sticks and bricks broke the gates of the office and reached the Chairman office block. The BISE own security proved insufficient while despite repeated calls, the police took it lightly and reached the scene only when the situation had slipped out of hand and the students had set the office on fire. The students of adjacent colleges and schools also joined the protesting students in ransacking the building and destroying their own record of papers and the BISE database. The police took on the students, after the damage had been done, and used severe shelling and baton charge to disperse them. It took an hour by the police to control the situation and then fire-fighters reached in to douse the flames. Dozens of students sustained injuries due to baton charge while some police personnel too were wounded by the stoning by the students. The battles halted routine life in the surrounding areas while tear gas shelling caused miseries to the people in the area. The BISE administration criticised the police and said that despite many emergency calls the police failed to show up at the office on time which caused the mob to set the office on fire. In Bahawalpur, the students and their parents strongly condemned the poor performance of the BISE and irregularities in the results. The parents and the failed candidates of the SSC Examination-2011 and the FA/FSc-2011 strongly condemned the errors in the examination papers, marking, rechecking, doubtful credibility of the examiners/paper checkers and the examination system and alleged that despite submitting the fee for the rechecking of papers, they failed to get any redress. They demanded the Punjab government bring revolutionary changes in the examination system to save the future of the students. In Rahim Yar Khan also, students of Government Khawaja Fareed College and various private colleges protested against BISE Bahawalpur administration. They blocked road by burning tyres and marched from college to DCO office and then to City Canal Bridge and Adda Khanpur. Angry students chanted slogans against the authorities and demanded immediate remedial steps regarding errors in their results. In Toba Tek Singh, students continued their protest for second consecutive day on Saturday against the errors in intermediate Part-1 results announced by the Faisalabad board. They shouted slogans against board management and demanded remarking of their papers. Parents and students of different institutions also staged a protest outside District Press Club. In Multan, hundreds of students blocked the main gate of BISE on Saturday. The students protested against the board authorities and did not let anyone enter or exit the building for at least two hours. They were sloganeering against the administration. Talking to the journalists, the students said that grave mistakes were committed in the result as absent students were declared successful while those who appeared in the papers were marked absent. They pointed out that a student was given 110 out of 100 in mathematics paper. They alleged that the officials of receiving bribes from many students. Later, the officials held talks with the protesters and sought two days to sort out the matter. They assured the students that all errors would be corrected within two days. The protesters dispersed after talks with the board officials.