PARIS - Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas warned Tuesday of the "risk of an intifada" if clashes over the Al-Aqsa mosque compound continue, after a meeting with French leader Francois Hollande in Paris.

"What is happening is very dangerous," Abbas said, calling on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to "stop" the chaos at the flashpoint holy site. Abbas warned against "an intifada (uprising) which we don't want". Tensions are high after days of clashes at the Al-Aqsa mosque site during the Jewish new year last week. The mosque, located at the site of what Jews venerate as the sacred Temple Mount, the holiest site in Judaism, is in east Jerusalem, captured by Israel in the 1967 Six Day War.

Al-Aqsa is also the third holiest site in Islam and is believed to be where the Prophet Mohammed made his night journey to heaven. Muslims have been alarmed by an increase in visits by Jews to the site and fear rules governing the compound will be changed. Jews are allowed to visit but not to pray, to avoid provoking tensions. Netanyahu has said repeatedly he is committed to the status quo at the site.

Israeli authorities fear further trouble ahead when the Muslim feast of Eid al-Adha coincides on Wednesday with the solemn Jewish fast of Yom Kippur. Hollande called for "peace, calm and the respect of principles." "I expressed our attachment to the status quo over the mosque compound," he said after the talks with Abbas.

Abbas' visit to France comes shortly before the United Nations General Assembly in New York where he will oversee the raising of the Palestinian flag at the UN. On the same day as the flag-raising, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will host a meeting of the Middle East Quartet seeking a diplomatic solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The peace process slipped into a deep coma after a failed US diplomatic effort in April last year. The foreign ministers of Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia, along with the secretary general of the Arab League, will attend in a bid to broaden the search for a way back to the negotiating table. Moreover, A Palestinian militant died when a bomb he was trying to throw at Israeli forces blew up near the West Bank city of Hebron overnight, officials from both sides said on Tuesday, as tension mounted on the eve of the Jewish Yom Kippur fast day.

Hours later in the same area, the military said troops shot a Palestinian woman as she tried to stab a soldier. A family member said Hadeel al-Hashlamun, a 19-year-old student, was taken to an Israeli hospital where she was later declared dead. In a picture posted on Facebook, a soldier could be seen aiming his rifle at a woman said to be Hashlamun, standing a short distance away. She was completely covered in a black robe.

There has been a surge in confrontations, often involving rock and petrol bomb throwing, since Israeli-Palestinian peace talks broke down in April 2014 - though violence has not approached the levels of past Palestinian uprisings. Israeli forces were on particularly high alert in Jerusalem and the West Bank on Tuesday. Security officials said travel between the West Bank, Gaza Strip and Israel would be limited until the end of Yom Kippur at midnight (2100 GMT) on Wednesday.

A Palestinian hospital official said the 23-year-old militant was showered in shrapnel and also shot in the head, though the military said it had not shot him. The Islamic Jihad militant group named the man as Diyaa Abdul Halim Talahmeh, claimed him as one of its members and said he had been shot dead by Israeli soldiers. An Israeli military spokeswoman said the man was killed when an improvised explosive device he tried to throw at an army patrol near the village of Kharsa, southwest of Hebron, detonated.