TRIPOLI (Agencies) - Libyan rebels have taken over Col Muammar Gaddafis compound here, one of the final areas under the Libyan leaders control. Heavily armed fighters had earlier streamed into the capital in dozens of pick-up trucks to attack the compound. TV footage showed smoke rising from buildings across the city, and the sound of shelling could be heard. On Tuesday morning, rebel commanders said they would concentrate all of their efforts on attacking the the heavily fortified Bab al-Aziziya compound. Later reports said hundreds fighters had breached one of the gates of the compound, and that gangs were inside the compound firing guns into the air to celebrate. Col Gaddafis son Saif al-Islam appeared in Tripoli overnight, hours after rebels said he had been captured. A rebel leader said his appearance was embarrassing, but would not stop their advance. Saif al-Islam, who spoke to journalists at the Rixos Hotel early on Tuesday, insisted the government had broken the backbone of the rebel offensive and that his fathers supporters were winning the battle. A brief appearance at the dead of night doesnt indicate to me somebody who is in control of a country, or capital, or of anything much at all really, said Nato spokeswoman Oana Lungescu. The Pentagon said on Tuesday that Libyan rebels appeared to be in control of most of Tripoli. However, it said Gaddafi had not left the country. Pentagon spokesman Colonel Dave Lapan said although the command capabilities of Gaddafis forces had been diminished, they remained dangerous. He also said the United States was monitoring Libyas chemical weapons sites, amid concern in Congress that those weapons could fall into the wrong hands. Two key figures from the Libyan army and a close relative of Gaddafi defected from the regime on Tuesday, Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said in an interview with SkyTG24 television. Today there were two important defections of important army representatives and a close relative of Gaddafi, who abandoned him this morning, Frattini said, refusing to give any further details. The Russian head of world chess on Tuesday said Gaddafi told him in a telephone call that he was in Tripoli and did not intend to leave the country despite an onslaught by rebels. I am alive and healthy, I am in Tripoli and do not intend to leave Libya. Do not believe the lying reports by Western television companies, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov quoted Gaddafi as saying in the conversation, the Interfax news agency reported. Ilyumzhinov had met Gaddafi in Tripoli in June. US President Barack Obama called for an inclusive transition in Libya, demanding that Gaddafi explicitly give up power and cautioned the rebels that their struggles were not over yet. French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet, who on Monday had declared The regime has fallen, the turnaround is total, said on France Inter radio Tuesday: In Libya the situation is not totally at an end, far from it. Meanwhile, members of the rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) in Benghazi said they planned to fly to the capital on Wednesday to start work on forming a new government. NTC chairman Mustafa Abdul Jalil also said all Gaddafi aides would face justice and fair criminal trials. I will stand trial for years I served as a minister in the Gaddafi government, he told a news conference in Benghazi. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said a boat it sent to Tripoli to evacuate migrant workers was unable to dock because of the security situation.