KARACHI -  The death of Naqeebullah Mehsud was an extrajudicial killing, Additional Inspector General of the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) Dr Sanaullah Abbasi, on Tuesday told the victim's grieving friends, family and tribesmen gathered on the outskirts of Karachi.

Abbasi, who headed a three-member team investigating Naqeebullah's killing in an 'exchange of fire', assured his kin that Naqeebullah had never been involved in terrorism-related activities as alleged earlier, but had been innocent and was in fact killed in a 'fake encounter'.

"This was a fake encounter in which an innocent man was killed," Abbasi said. "Whoever was involved will be brought to justice."

"No one will be allowed to kill extra-judicially," he added.

Members of a Mehsud jirga were also present in the meeting between the investigation team and the deceased's family.

A first information report (FIR) was registered against former SSP Malir Rao Anwar and other police personnel accused of involvement in the alleged 'encounter' on Tuesday evening. An FIR No 40/18 was registered at the Sachal police station. The police have placed multiple sections in the FIR which included 302 (murder), 365 (kidnapping), 344/34 (fake encounter), 109 (on behest of) and 7 of the anti-terrorism act. The case was registered on behalf of Naqeebullah’s father Muhammad Khan.

According to his statement, eight or nine subordinates of SSP Anwar had taken his son into custody before he was killed.

Senior police official Rao Anwar is among the officials who are being investigated for their alleged involvement in the fake encounter. He was removed from his post as the senior superintendent of police Malir by Sindh's Inspector General, AD Khawaja, soon after the inquiry team had submitted an initial report.

Anwar appeared before the team on Friday, but later boycotted the police probe, alleging that two members of the police inquiry team held "personal biases" against him. He had claimed that instead of asking him about the incident, the members of police inquiry team “were bent upon implicating him in the case”.

It was learnt that Anwar had attempted to flee the country late Monday night, but was stopped by the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) officials at the immigration counter. The Supreme Court, on Tuesday, ordered that Anwar's name be placed on the Exit Control List (ECL) to avert such any further attempt in the future.

According to Sindh Home Minister Sohail Anwar Siyal, Anwar had attempted to fly from Islamabad to Dubai using a No Objection Certificate (NOC) signed by the Sindh chief secretary instead of the provincial interior department — the authority which is actually supposed to issue the NOC.

Pashtun Qaumi Grand Jirga continued on the second consecutive day where the grieving family of the deceased, friends, relatives and people from different Pashtun communities, particularly Mehsud tribe attended the gathering against the incident. Politicians from different political parties also attended the gathering to express solidarity with the deceased’s family.

Demanding to constitute a judicial commission, the Jirga members also warned the closure of the Karachi ports and the airport if the judicial commission not only against the killing of Naqeebullah but all the people killed in extrajudicial was not formed within 72 hours. They also warned that the protest could be extended to entire country if Rao Anwar and his team members were not arrested by police.

On the other hand, IGP Sindh has appointed DIG East Sultan Khowaja as a focal person to talk and give police department’s opinion on media regarding various aspects and developments related to killing of Naqeebullah.

The police officials privy to the matter said that police was looking for the arrests of SSP Anwar and his team members for their involvement in the extrajudicial killing.

On January 13, Naqeebullah and three other suspected terrorists were claimed to be killed by SSP Anwar during an alleged encounter in the Shah Latif Town of Karachi as what the SSP Anwar had claimed that the terrorists killed were affiliated with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan and Islamic State, however, it took a U-turn after the family of the victim Naqeebullah identified him and claimed that their loved one was killed in an extrajudicial killing manner.

The IGP Sindh had constituted a three-member inquiry committee headed by Additional Inspector General of the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) Dr Sanaullah Abbasi to probe the killing of Naqeebullah.