ISLAMABAD - Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Monday (today) will probe Makhdoom Amin Fahim, leader of PPP as part of investigation into Trade Development Authority of Pakistan (TDAP) corruption scandal, according to the official sources.

FIA through a notice had asked former Federal Commerce Minister Amin Fahim to appear before the investigators and explain all his financial and administrative decisions during his time as Minister.

The TDAP case, opened by FIA Crimes Circle Karachi a year ago, involves illegal freight subsidy of Rs five billion to phoney export companies.

The probe had disclosed use of bogus export companies for corruption and embezzlement.

Owners and two former TDAP chiefs were held into custody by FIA for investigation. Money laundering cases have also been registered against bankers and front-men, who were allegedly involved in transferring abroad heavy sums of money through illegal channels.

According to FIA sources, investigations were also continuing into case of former Chairman EOBI Zafar Iqbal Gondal, the main accused in a case of corruption.

The accused was in hiding for more than eight months but presented himself before Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) last week in Islamabad when he came alongwith his brother former Federal Minister Nazar Muhammad Gondal.

The accused is on a protective bail from the Lahore High Court. While FIA had also arrested another accused Abdul Qayyum in the same case and now he was on judicial remand.

Abdul Qayyum remained on the run for months before he was arrested this month.

According to the FIA investigation team, Qayyum sold Crown Plaza located in F-7 Islamabad to EOBI management for Rs 1.02 billion, whereas the property was valued at Rs 626 million.


Staff Reporter from Karachi adds: Two dead bodies were recovered from different parts of the provincial metropolis on Sunday.

Baghdadi police found a body from Slaughterhouse Road with torture marks. Police said unidentified assailants, after kidnapping, killed the man and threw the body at an abandoned place. The body was shifted to morgue for identification after autopsy at Civil Hospital Karachi (CHK).

Similarly, Pak Colony police found another body having torture marks from Lyari Riverbed. Police said identification of the victim was yet to be ascertained, however, the body was moved to morgue for identification after completing medico-legal formalities at CHK.