islamabad - The federal government informed the Supreme Court that Friday prayers and sermons in Lal Masjid are being strictly monitored by the special branch.

In compliance of the Supreme Court’s May 11 order, Deputy Attorney General Sohail Mahmood has submitted a report regarding the implementation of the court’s October 2, 2007 judgment regarding rebuilding of Jamia Hafsa in federal capital.

The government submitted that all such madaris/ religious institutions in the country are being run and managed by the organisers on self help/ donation basis. In the past, Jamia Hafsa was also being run by the organisers on the basis of the donations.

“The affairs of Lal Masjid are being regulated amicably in accordance with the code of conduct. Strict vigilance is being maintained and Friday prayers and sermons are being strictly monitored by the special branch,” says the report.

The federal government has also submitted the copy of the agreement before the Supreme Court regarding the allotment of 20 Kanals plot for the reconstruction of Jamia Hafsa in the capital. 

In December 2015, Lal Masjid cleric Abdul Aziz had filed an application in the apex court, requesting it to direct the authorities to implement the Supreme Court’s October 2, 2007 verdict.

The top court on May 4 sought report from the federal government regarding the implementation of its eight-year-old verdict of rebuilding Jamia Hafsa in federal capital.

The agreement says that 20 Kanal of land will be provided in sector H-11/4 Islamabad for the construction of Madrassa Research centre and hostel for the students of Jamia Hafsa in lieu of the land previously in use for Jamia Hafsa.

According to the agreement, it was also agreed that entire land previously being used by Jamia Hafsa, adjacent to Lal Masjid, will be solely used as prayer ground and shall not be used for any other purpose i.e. institutional or residential. Accordingly measuring plot 20 Kanal was allotted. Previously, the plot was allotted for National Institute of Fire Technology in sector H-11. It is further informed that out of four innocent, three victims have been paid compensation in view of eight-year-old judgment.

Earlier, the capital police have informed the Supreme Court that Umme Hassan failed to substantiate her claim about the number of seminary students inside the mosque during the operation in 2007. The reply states that the investigation team recorded Ayesha Ahmed and Umme Hassan’s statements. The police state that during the probe, both of the witnesses failed to substantiate their version that there were 3500-3600 students inside Lal Masjid.

The report further states that the operation started on July 3, 2007 by the armed forces in pursuance of the federal government’s directions under Article 245 of the Constitution and was concluded on July 10, 2007.

It is also stated that 662 people were arrested and released later on. As many as 467 female seminary students were evacuated from Lal Masjid during the operation and were handed over to their relatives. Regarding the operation, 47 criminal cases were registered. Challans against Maulana Abdul Aziz, his wife and 39 other accused persons were sent to the courts for further proceedings.

It is also told that conviction has been announced in only four cases. The report says 103 people — 89 militants, 11 officials and three civilians — were killed during the operation.