QUETTA-Chairman Hazara Democratic Party (HDP) Hussain Ali Yousufi was gunned down by unknown armed men here on Monday morning. His killing sparked violent protests in the City. According to police sources, unknown gunmen riding a motorbike opened fire on Hussain Ali Yousufi as he came out of his car outside a local travel agency. As a result, he received multiple bullets wounds in his head and chest. He was immediately shifted to Quetta Civil Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries. An eyewitness told The Nation that an armed young person pulled out his pistol and fired some bullets in the air and then fired several shots on deceased from very close range. He further said that assailant escaped from the site after committing the crime. The spokesman of defunct Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LJ) Ali Haider while calling from unknown place claimed responsibility for the killing of HDP leader. The killing of Hussain Ali Yousufi sparked violent protests as news of his killing spread amongst people. All shops and business activities in provincial capital came to a standstill. Speaking at a Press conference at Civil Hospital leader of HDP Abdul Khaliq Hazara strongly condemned the assassination of Hussain Ali Yousufi and described it failure of govt to maintain law and order. He blamed that provincial govt for failing to curb incidents of target killings and could not arrest any culprit. He appealed to all people to shut their business activities as protest and make arrangements for their safety. He also announced shutter-down strike for Tuesday (today) to protest against killing of HDP leader. Hundreds of protesters belonging to Hazara community gathered at Jinnah Road where the protest turned violent. The angry mob set ablaze private vehicles, motorbike, a bank besides smashing the windowpanes of a private TV channel office. The staff of a bank was trapped inside due to flames and after hard efforts of people, they were rescued. According to hospital sources, 15 injured had been admitted in hospital while eight people had received bullet wounds due to aerial firing by protesters while some other injured were discharged after getting first aid. 'We called police and fire brigade for rescue but none of them reached as we were badly trapped inside the bank due to fire, thanks to people who retrieved us from the building', said an employee of bank on condition of anonymity. Fire brigade, police and FC personnel were witnessed on the roads when the protesters had gone away. Later, police fired tear gas shells and baton-charged the protesters. However, after arrival of security forces on the roads the situation slowly started to normalise. Frontier Corps (FC) was also called out in the City to control the situation. According to police sources at least 18 people had been arrested for suspected links in target killing of HDP leader from different areas. Governor and Chief Minister Balochistan strongly condemned the killing of Hazara politician and asked people to remain calm. Balochistan Union of Journalists (BUJ) strongly condemned the attack on private TV channel office and torture of newsmen by protesters. It demanded of the govt to probe into incident and provide security to the journalists. It may be mentioned that Monday's target killing was the second sectarian attack in Quetta in two weeks while prior to this unknown assailants killed four policemen on the outskirts of the City on January 14.