The death toll from Friday's twin suicide blasts, which struck a busy market in Parachinar on Friday, has jumped to 57 as more of the injured succumbed to their wounds in hospitals.

Riaz Mehsud, Political Agent of Kurram Agency while confirming the death toll, said around 400 persons were busy shopping for Iftar in the narrow roadside market when the suicide blasts took place.

"One of the suicide bombers blew himself up first in one corner of the bazaar and a minute later, the second bomber carried out the attack in another corner, causing widespread destruction," he said.

He said all the injured had been shifted to the public sector Agency Headquarters Hospital in Parachinar where emergency had already been declared and all hospital staff called for duty.

"We received 72 injured persons and among them more than a dozen are in critical condition. We may shift them to Peshawar for better treatment," said Dr Gul Hussain from Parachinar on phone.

A Parachinar resident, Amjad Hussain said that large number of area people were busy shopping, mostly for edibles to break their fast when the blast took place. "I saw people running for their lives when another blast occurred". He said local people shifted the injured to the hospital on self-help basis.

Another local tribesman, Gulfat Hussain said many people died before they could be shifted to hospital.

"Announcements were made from loudspeakers in the mosques appealing to the people to come to hospital and donate blood for the injured people," he said.

Heavy contingent of security forces rushed to the spot and cordoned off the area after the blast.

Meanwhile, a communique by commissioner Kohat Division stated that 34 persons were killed and more than 80 were injured in the twin suicide blasts in Parachinar.

Earlier, two persons were killed and seven others sustained injuries when a double-cabin pickup vehicle was attacked with an improvised explosive device (IED) in the Kharpati area in lower Kurram Agency on Friday.

The sources said the vehicle carrying passengers was heading to Parachinar when it was targeted with an IED planted along the roadside.

For almost four years, the main road from Thall to Parachinar was blocked due to the attacks by militants and passengers had to use the Afghanistan route to drive to Torkham before entering Pakistan.

Meanwhile, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Governor, Engineer Shaukatullah directed the commissioner Kohat and Political Agent Kurram Agency to provide better medical treatment to the victims of the twin blasts in Parachinar.