LAHORE - A 25-year-old youth tested positive in his clinical reports, died in the ICU Department of the Shaikh Zayed Hospital, a week ago. This was the first death caused by dengue fever reported in the City. The victim was identified as Ghulam Murtaza - resident of Sheikhupura. It was the second attack of dengue mosquito which caused the death of the youth. Last year, he had also been hospitalised when he was tested positive as dengue patient in the clinical reports. This time the dengue fever even affected his kidneys also. The Directorate General Health Services, Punjab has so far reported two deaths caused by the dengue fever. The first death of the dengue patient was reported in Rawalpindi while the second in Lahore where Ghulam Murtaza died in Sheikh Zayed Hospital. The focal person for dengue appointed by the Directorate General Health Services Dr Zia-ul-Rehman said Ghulam Murtaza was the first patient who died in the City due to severe attack of the dengue fever. In view of the gravity of the issue, a high level meeting of the Punjab Health Department was held here on Monday. The meeting was chaired by Secretary Health Punjab Anwar A Khan. Medical superintendents of the teaching hospitals, EDOs of various districts and other senior health officers participated in the meeting besides the DG Health Punjab. The meeting was informed that alarming surge in the number of dengue cases has been reported across the province especially in the City. The areas of the city where complaints of dengue fever have been reported in a large number include Shahdara, Ravi Road, Misri Shah, Badami Bagh, Sanda, Chah Miran, Shafiqabad, Makhan Pura and Gulshan-e-Iqbal. The meeting was informed that out of 177 cases reported so far across the province, 144 were from Lahore. The trend was same in 2006 and 2007 where 80 per cent patients belonged to Lahore. No less than a dozen medics and a senior LDA officer were also among the dengue fever patients in the provincial capital. Similarly, an outbreak was reported in the Punjab University's girls hostel and four female students were rushed to the Shaikh Zayed Hospital with symptoms of the dengue fever. Three of the girls were discharged after necessary treatment while one of them has been admitted in the hospital for further treatment. About the reason of dengue cases' surge in Lahore, focal person Dr Zia-ul-Rehman said that the above-mentioned areas of the City were being neglected by the departments concerned especially the solid waste management department. He said the Punjab health department has issued new guidelines for all the MSs of the hospitals to challenge the dengue fever surge. Another main reason was the massive traveling from Sindh to the Punjab province especially in Lahore during the last Eid, he said, adding that it was not a matter of concern as the dengue fever disease was not much fatal than the other disease. To a query, he said the reports about the first death of dengue patient in the Family Hospital was not true. The said patient died due to hearth attack, he added. A source in the Shaikh Zayed Hospital told this scribe that the dengue patient Ghulam Murtaza was first taken to the Shalamar Hospital some eight days ago and was shifted to the Services Hospital afterwards. Due to his critical condition he was again referred to the Shaikh Zayed Hospital. Ghulam Murtaza was kept in the emergency department of the Shaikh Zayed Hospital in critical condition due to massive bleeding from his mouth and urine. The emergency doctors provided him treatment and later informed the hospital authorities about the critical condition of the patient and later shifted him to the ICU department for further care. His platelet counts had dropped to only eight which is a dangerous level for a dengue fever patient, he further said.