LAHORE - A Cantt Court Judicial Magistrate Zeb Shehzad Cheema yesterday remanded eight men in police custody for their alleged involvement in gang raping a teenage girl at a local hotel.

The suspects included Adnan Sanaullah, Abdul Majid, Muhammad Umer, Ameer Ahmad, Haris, Bilawal, Qamar Zaman and Khalid. Race Course Police produced the suspects before the court and sought 10-day physical remand.

However, the suspects’ counsels opposed their clients’ remand and said that police took them into custody to show performance, otherwise, they did not commit rape. Advocate Muhammad Younas, representing Bilawal, one of the eight accused, said that police arrested him merely on the pressure of news aired by media.

He said Bilawal was not there and he did not commit any crime. He said his client was ready to join police investigation and his DNA test can also be taken to determine his involvement, said the counsel. He pleaded the court to acquit his client.

After hearing both sides, the judicial magistrate granted 3-day physical remand to the accused and directed police to come up with the investigation report by the next hearing.

A resident of Multan road Benish Asad, 15, was allegedly kidnapped by 8 men and raped in a local hotel at Mall road on Friday. Through a cell phone’s message, the family of the victim girl came to know that she was lying unconscious in a local hotel.

The family approached police and lodged FIR against 8 accused including Adnan Sanaullah, said to be close to the ruling party, under Sections 376 and 506 of the Pakistan Penal Code. Police also added abduction to the list of charges against the eight accused.

The victim girl, an 8th class student, is receiving medical treatment at Services Hospital. The initial medical tests confirmed that she was subjected to rape.

The girl’s mother earlier claimed that her daughter was going to a tailor shop along with her brother when some unidentified men bundled her into a car and fled away.

She said her son reached home and the family launched a search on their own to find her but to no avail.

She said at around 11pm on Friday a text message was received on their mobile phone: “Your daughter is lying unconscious in room number 230 of a hotel on The Mall.”

She said the family found the girl lying unconscious in the hotel room when they reached along with police.

She also alleged that PML-N Punjab Youth Wing additional secretary general Adnan and his accomplices kidnapped her from Multan Road and forced her to drink some intoxicated liquid after which she lost her consciousness.

The girl said the suspects took her to the hotel where 10 men gang-raped her and left her in an inebriated condition and fled away.