PISHIN - At least 12 people of a family died from suffocation due to leakage in a house in the Kali Karbala area here on Thursday.

According to Levies official Asmatullah, all the victims, including three women and nine children, members of the same family, had turned the gas heater on before going to bed.

Senior local administration official, Bashir Ahmad Bazai, said, “These people were asleep in the same room and inhaled poisonous gases emitted by a gas heater.”

The bodies were shifted to Civil Hospital Pishin for postmortem. Police started investigation into the incident.

President Mamnoon Hussain, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, the Balochistan chief minister, the governor and PTI chief Imran Khan offered condolences to the victim family over the incident.

AFP adds: At least nine people, all women and children, died after inhaling noxious fumes from an electricity generator outside their house in southwest Pakistan on Thursday, officials said.

Frequent blackouts due to a longstanding energy crisis in Pakistan have forced many to turn to generators, but safety standards are generally low and deaths due to carbon monoxide inhalation are not uncommon.

Balochistan is Pakistan’s largest but the least developed and most sparsely populated province, being wracked for decades by a separatist insurgency.