ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court Thursday observed that police had failed to prevent the unruly mob from attacking and burning the Christian couple and directed the IGP Punjab to complete disciplinary action against responsible police officials and submit its report within a month.

A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Nasir ul Mulk was hearing the suo moto case of burning of the Christian couple in the jurisdiction of Kot Radha Kishan, Kasur.

The bench observed that there were contradictory statements of police high-ups and the cops regarding the incident, therefore, first it should be found out whether the news prior to the incident was given to the police officer or a constable, and why did not the police take any action upon getting the information.

The court said the kiln owner should also be investigated in the case. Justice Gulzar Ahmed stated it was the duty of police to protect lives and properties of the citizens, adding but there was a contradiction between the police reports. He remarked in Europe one policeman provides protection to 500 people.

Inspector General of Police, Punjab, Mushtaq Sukhera, ex-DPO Kasur Jawwad Qamar, incumbent DPO Kasur Rai Babar Saeed and ASI Abdul Rasheed appeared before the court. The IGP and ex-DPO submitted reports, however, the court expressed dissatisfaction over them. The bench directed the IGP to take a disciplinary action against those policemen who were present at that place, and submit its report within a month.

The ex-DPO Kasur’s report held ASI Abdul Rasheed for negligence. The report states that one day before the tragic event Abdul Rasheed had the knowledge of the incident. According to the report, the ASI refused to accept the responsibility, and his stance is that he had no information one day ago about the tragic incident. He further stated in the report that unnecessarily the inquiry committee had put all the responsibility on him.

He also stated that one day before the incident he contacted the kiln owner for purchasing bricks for his friend. He mentioned in the report that the incharge of the police check post got the information about the tragic event in the morning and sent him to the place of incident. The ASI stated when he reached the site the unruly mob caught and tortured him.

The IGP report says the inquiry team writes that the ASI was aware about the incident one day ago, therefore, ASI Abdul Rasheed and four constables were suspended and a disciplinary action was initiated against them.

The IGP asked the bench to constitute a judicial commission if it was not satisfied with the report. The chief justice said in the first police report there was no blame on the ASI, adding the action against the ASI was taken after the court notice.

Ex-DPO Jawwad Qamar’s stance was that when he got the information he reached the place and noticed that announcements were made on mosques loudspeakers inciting the area people to attack the Christian couple.

The court directed the IGP to take disciplinary action against the police officials responsible for the incident and submit its report within one month and adjourned the hearing till 26th February.