KARACHI - At least eight people, among them a policeman, were killed in Karachi on Monday. A head constable, Zafar Iqbal, posted to Quaidabad police station, was shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Landhi area. Police officials said Iqbal was present at his place of deployment near Rangers Headquarters in Landhi’s Old Muzaffarabad Colony, when targeted. He received multiple gunshot wounds and died on the spot. The body was taken to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for autopsy.

A man, namely Abdul Rehman, 35, was shot dead near Guru Mandir Chowrangi. Police said the victim, a resident of Lines Area, used to work for a private company. He was on his way to his workplace when two unidentified attackers on a motorcycle opened fire on him over unknown reasons.  In another incident of targeted killing, Mohammad Hafiz, 38, was shot dead by armed men in Orangi Town. Police officials said the victim was a drug addict and unidentified armed men shot and killed him. The motive behind the murder could not be ascertained till the filing of this story.

Two youngsters were found dead in SITE-B police area. One of them was identified as sixteen-year-old boy, Abdul Rehman, while identity of the other victim could not be ascertained. Initial investigation suggested they were both killed after being kidnapped. They were shot multiple times and their bodies bore marks of torture.  A passerby, Tanvir Siddiqui, 20, was shot dead in Swat Colony where rival groups were trading fire in a clash. No arrest was made till the filing of this report.  Separately, Abdul Sattar, 40, was killed near a restaurant near Maripur Road. A security guard Ataullah was killed and another, Haider Ali, wounded in a bid to foil robbery at a branch of a private bank. Police said the guard was killed and another hurt in an exchange of fire with a group of robbers that tried to barge into the bank. 

A police constable was wounded when a police mobile came under attack in Orangi Town. Police officials said unidentified men had lobbed the cracker at the van.

Meanwhile, an underage inmate managed to break out of a prison here.  Seventeen-year-old Jamal Hussain, who had been arrested by Docks police over robberies and a murder charge, managed to escape from the juvenile section of central jail.

Authorities were nowhere about the modus operandi. Nevertheless, jailer Murtaza Shaikh, Naveed Ahmed and two other officials have been placed under suspension.

New Town police have lodged an FIR against these officials for negligence and called a repot within three days. Over a couple of weeks, nine prisoners have managed to escape from courts.