Atif Khakwani


Theft of weapons, drugs, liquor and parts of motorcycle and vehicles from police Mall Khana is a routine, disclosed police sources. The current law and order situation requires the installation of CCTV cameras and monitoring of police Mall Khana, said DCO Syed Haider Iqbal. Release of emergency funds in this regard is in the pipeline and very soon the cameras will be installed, he added. The sources said ASI M Akram and M Siddique along with many others were dismissed from service for theft of weapons and drugs. The Interior Ministry of the Punjab has recently issued many alerts regarding attacks on police and government buildings.

DPO Liaqat Ali Malik had written to the DCO for an early installation of CCTV cameras. Sources told this correspondent that DCO has issued instructions to the buildings department for early presentation of PC 1.

On the other side, torture is said to be the cause of a prisoner’s death in District Jail Bahawalnagar. Dead body of M Ashiq, a resident of Faisalabad, booked for theft, was brought to DHQ Bahawalnagar by heavy deployment of prison police. According to the reports, Ashiq had been arrested against a case registered with Saddr Police Station Bahawalnagar under PPC 380/411 around 3 months ago on the complaint of Qadria Textile Mills.

On Tuesday, he felt pain in stomach and breathed his last soon. Sources disclosed that the dead body was shifted to DHQ 4 hours after the reported time of death. Prison force forcibly stopped media from the coverage. DHQ spokesperson said that the dead body from the prison has reached but they waited for more than two hours for the documentation. They further disclosed that on the will of the resourceful owners of the mill, the deceased was tortured even before the remand from the court after the arrest and he was under a great ordeal in the prison.

District Medical Officer Iqbal Dhudhi said that the dead body will be fully examined and samples will be sent for forensic tests to the lab in Lahore. Final result will be issued after the report from the forensic laboratory.

.Superintendent Jail Mahar Ashraf when contacted said that he was busy with DIG Prisons and will talk on the issue later.