PESHAWAR - As the militants Tuesday set ablaze two government primary schools in pre-dawn arson in Kurram Agency, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government formally decided to issue arms permits to private schools enabling them to ensure security of their students, staff members and institutions, officials said.

The officials said that in order to avoid incidents like Army Public School (APS), the provincial government had decided to issue weapon permits to private schools to ensure security of the students and staff members. The provincial government has sought applications from the schools for issuance of weapon permits.

They said a team comprising high officials of the home ministry and police would visit schools for this purpose. Hiring of security guards will be the responsibility of school administration. Moreover, the KP government has initiated survey of colleges for installation of CCTV cameras.  The survey report will be finalised within few days. The government has started reviewing security of the schools following terrorist attack on Army Public School on December 16 last that killed more than 140 people, majority of them children.

Meanwhile, militants set on fire two government primary schools at Manndan and Kanddali Baba areas of Kurram Agency. Sources said the schools were completely burnt by fire. There was, however, no loss of life. Officials in the political administration said the attackers had doused furniture with petrol before setting it ablaze.

All the wooden benches and desks along with school records were destroyed and buildings were damaged in the pre-dawn arson attacks, they added. No militant group claimed responsibility for the acts. The security forces cordoned off the entire area after the incidents and started investigation. It is worth-mentioning that more than 60 government schools have been destroyed by the militants in Kurram Agency so far.

Militants oppose female education. In Fata and KP, government and private schools have been closed for winter vacations, which authorities have extended until January 12 after the Peshawar massacre amid threats of more violence.