It took the police department one long year to declare a slain cop who was killed by unidentified assailants as “martyr” enabling heirs of the deceased to get the compensation amount and other privileges.

Head constable Khalid Khan of Counter Terrorism Squad (CTS), was shot dead by unidentified assailants when he was returning home from duty on February 23, 2014 on Thatta Khailil Road in limits of Taxila Police.

A murder case was registered against unidentified assailants but the police failed to find any clue to the attackers despite a lapse of one year. Meanwhile, the bereaved family members including the widow and her four children ran from pillar to post to get the financial compensation of the deceased who died while boots on as they were not granted salary or pension due to technical reasons as the police high-up had failed to ascertain his killing as attributable to police service or not. During this period the family members were also denied pension as the police high ups were uncertain about the death of the cop as “killed” or martyr” as in both cases the compensation amount and monthly pension was different. “The death compensation, monthly pension and other facilities like appointment of next to kin, benefits of education to the children is different to a policeman if he died in case attributable to police service, so that the case of the slain cops was delayed as circumstances were not cleared that either he was killed in case related to service or some personal enmity”, said an official of CTS. He said as the IG had accorded his death as attributable to police service so he was declared as “martyr” and this sanction led to delay of around one year. The official sources said.

Stone crusher owner gets extortion call: A stone crusher owner received an extortion call from a cellphone number of Afghanistan while the Taxila Police have registered a case and started investigation.

Ghulam Murtaza Shah, a stone crusher owner at Margalla hills reported to the police that he had received a call in which caller identified himself as Taliban commander and demanded extortion money Rs5 million. The Taxila Police registered a case against unidentified caller under section 25-D of Telegraph Act and under Section 506-II and started further investigation.